• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

November 9, 1918

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Negotiations for armistice between Germany and the Allies continue.

Kaiser Wilhelm of Germany abdicates and leaves for the Netherlands.

Workers Councils declare themselves Republics through Germany; many are soviets.

Russian Soviet Army begins its westward offensive toward Poland, the Baltic states, and Romania.

Kaiser Charles of Austria-Hungary resigns from the throne.

In the West, the Meuse-Argonne Offensive - including 1.2 million US troops - continues against German forces.

Meuse-Argonne.jpg

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Another good post Tom. The picture you added today is outstanding.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
One church here in town (Congregational) will be ringing bells tomorrow, and I'd bet there are thousands of other churches doing similar things, but I don't know of any organized national plans. There are plenty of "Veterans Day Sales" across the country of course. Seems we push buying and selling more than many other countries; de Tocqueville wrote about that over 200 years ago.

I wish we showed more serious thought about these things, especially violence in our world. Repetitions of the phrase "Thoughts and Prayers" - without taking action - comes to mind.

Interesting letter - mentioning bells - from a young Ohio man deployed in France, November 11, 1918:

Somewhere over here—Nov. 11, 1918 [Corbie, France, a few miles from Compiegne where the Armistice was signed]

Dear Grandma,

This has been some day in this town. We got news this morning that the Huns had given up at 5 a.m. There is a big church here which is partly destroyed, but it has a bell still intact, and it has been ringing since noon. It is now after 6, and it is still ringing. I guess it will ring all night if the Yanks can get relief enough. I guess you had a little celebration when you got the news.

The Yanks sure gave the Huns a good hot chase. I guess they will think twice before they start out to take the world again. I would like to tell a lot more, but it might be censored. Just wait and I’ll be walking in your door some nice clear day and can tell you what I have seen of this great war. I never thought that one’s part would be such a small part in this war. But I found out it is true when you say you are going to do your bit—it is a little bit. We are going to move out in two or three days, going closer to the coast and maybe to England. The English want to see us because we have been fighting with their boys, and you will read something very great about us in history. We are wanted to take part in a big parade in England.

I remain as ever,
Pvt. Carroll Hosbrook

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
That is a cool set of then and now photos Mark.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
My maternal grandfather, Jean Wood, served in the 314th Field Artillery, Battery E and was in Mouzay when the guns fell silent. Here is a web page memorializing the 314th: https://www.wvgenweb.org/marshall/314/314th.htm His name is listed as Wood, Jean H, Sgt, Littleton, WV in the Roster for Battery "E."

Not sure where this picture was taken, but that's Granddad Wood in the center holding the unit flag (Picture from my uncle Joseph Wood is posted on the web site):

314-wood.jpg

Grand dad's grave site in Bridgeport WVa.

Jean Wood Grave.jpg