• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

"Fuel Diamond" Gasoline Treatment

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I stumbled upon this while surfing eBay and wanted to ask if anyone here knows more about it. There's very little on the Internet and they make ambitious claims for dropping this little item - less than two inches in length - into your fuel tank to achieve these benefits:

• It stops the what can be a rapid drop in octane.
  • It stops the change in fuel colour.
  • It stops emulsification.

Any experience or additional knowledge of it out there?

https://www.spitfirefuelcatalyst.co.uk/products/fuel-diamond

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Aside from my native skepticism, the next question I have is about the statement that 1 of these treats a 60 liter tank, fill-up after fill-up (apparently for 5 years) but if the tank is bigger than 60 liters, you need to add another pellet to the tank????
Never heard of it but 'snake oil' is my guess.

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
No knowledge or experience here but it would sure look pretty on the shelf next to my cow magnets....remember those for putting on your fuel lines?

I'll be the last person on earth to buy a fuel diamond but by then we'll likley know if it does anything. A little chemistry or explanation how it works would go a long way for their sales guys. I keep my fuel tanks full (an old aviation habit) to displace moisture laden air and thus condensation and have never had a problem with any 4 cycle engine....well except for the x×$%&* lawn mower which doesn't get too much use on my spread.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
There is, of course, an alternative solution: Drive your Healey more often....

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Caveat emptor

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Do a study and let us know. :encouragement:

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Does it come from the same guys that made “Slick 50” ....
they may want to update the coin they use as a size comparioson .I very much doubt anyone knows what that coin is they show on the site .
Its older than dirt ..

Dandare

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Does it come from the same guys that made “Slick 50” ....
they may want to update the coin they use as a size comparioson .I very much doubt anyone knows what that coin is they show on the site .
Its older than dirt ..

It's a British 50 pence coin, can't be any older than 1969? Just seen the other one what is it?:smile:

Danny

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
It's a British 50 pence coin, can't be any older than 1969?

Danny
I dont think its a 50p piece , its the wrong colour they were silver that looks like a brass coin .
Anyways dont matter its all snake oil

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Roscoe--

You said "it would sure look pretty on the shelf next to my cow magnets....remember those for putting on your fuel lines?"

I have never heard about putting cow magnets on fuel lines but have always wondered how one is supposed to get the magnet, along with all the assorted bits assumedly adhering to them--out of the cow.

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
One cow magnet lasts for life ( of the cow). They prevent what is referred to as "hardware disease" which is acquired because cows eat whatever is in the dirt...nails, staples, British car bits etc. Somebody who could trace their lineage back to P.T. Barnum figured out spreading the myth that the cow magnets could align the fuel molecules in your Corvair (if you bought a Corvair they figured you'd probably go for the magnets too) and boost your mileage by an amount that probably changed because you were paying attention to how you drove, if it changed at all. This episode was where the concept of "added value" must have come from in the marketing world. They did help keep the cows from the symptoms, that were real, from getting metal bits stuck in parts of their multiple stomach compartments. There was another possibility, if you have been to a state or county fair you may have seen the research cows that had surgically implanted screw on caps so you could reach right into their stomachs and scoop out some rumen. Looked just like a cow with a gas cap on its side. You could also reach in and grab the magnet, clean 'er up and put it back in without much disturbing ole Bossie.....I sure love the British Cow Forum.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Jon--

Thanks for your response--enquiring minds want to know. I have, BTW, seen articles on the cow caps which seems extremely inhumane until we consider that dairy cows apparently live a rather sedentary life and are little more than milk machines. I guess it does not matter to the cow....

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
It's a British 50 pence coin, can't be any older than 1969? Just seen the other one what is it?:smile:

Danny

That is a 20P piece - both coins are a tad tarnished hence the colour - I am with Mr Oritt - drive the car more. The alternative is to drain the tank -

I don't advise that having just had an experience of a leaky drain plug on my BJ7 - It has what looks to be a home made Ali tank, the drain plug decided to leak after 16 years in my possession and the MOT station pulled it up. There was no copper washer so I got one and drained the tank. I installed the copper washer and the tank leaked more than ever - spent what seemed to be a frightening half hour under the car gently tightening up that drain plug a bit at a time with a six sided socket and a long tommy bar until the fuel stopped coming out. Don't want to do that to often.

:cheers:

Bob

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
Years back we used to seal a hole or a leaking drain on the tank with the hardening Permatex. Would put a small piece of gasket material on screw, spread on some Permatex and screw it home. Forget about taking drain plug out anytime after, dried and sealed rock hard. Now I've seen JB weld used.

Country flag
I've seen similar 'miracle cures' before. I only have a couple years of college chemistry, but I'm pretty sure these things would do nothing but lighten your wallet. Gasoline, and ethanol, are organic compounds and will not, for the most part, dissolve or react with anything metal (as these appear to be). It's even a misnomer to call them a catalyst--but it sounds scientific, and the more scientific-sounding the better to sell--as a catalyst facilitates a chemical reaction without participating in the reaction. A catalytic converter, for example, uses exotic metals (palladium or cadmium) to assist leftover hydrocarbons in combusting themselves (they only fail due to bad mixtures or the catalyst gets coated with gunk over time, or they rust out). You don't want any chemical reactions in your gas tank anyway; note that the (apparently) legit additives like Sta-Bil are liquid and miscible with the gas (I don't know if they work as advertised or not, having never used or needed them).

The 'magnetic' fuel enhancers are a real joke; organic compounds are non-polar and are in no way affected by a magnetic field.

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I am going to confess here that what I add to my gas tank once in a while, (and not often mind you), is "Seafoam." I have had enough people tell me to use. Suppose to be good in ridding carbon deposits and good for cars with solid lifters.

Beyond that, I have no understanding as to how or why. Mike noted above about just driving it more often, and that is what I sure try to do! And if the car sits in the winter, I just make sure the tank is topped off.

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I store all my gas motors, (cars, generators, power washers, chain saws, etc.) with a little SeaFoam in the tank. They never fail to start when needed.