• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3b Tyres

Jimm57

Freshman Member
Have gotten my folks '63 TR3b back running and going this past summer and its time for new tires. Dad bough the car 25 yrs ago and has never changed them. There s no date code on them! So I figured if I wanted to drive this and enjoy it on the road safely I better get some new rubber. Theres a place here in NC that gave us a quote.
Vredestein Sprint Classic 165/80/15 radial........................$ 139.95 each
Correct size heavy duty tube......................................$ 29.95 each
Prep,mount,shave,true,balance,clean,tag...........................$ 85.00 each
----------------
$ 254.90 each

Does this seem reasonable? Are there other tires that are cheaper? Its a driver, not for a concourse!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm guessing that's Hendrix Wire Wheel Service. You'll be extremely pleased with the work!

They can provide cheaper tires, but the Vredesteins are hard to beat, concours notwithstanding.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Did Kumho ever start making skinny tires again?

I've been happy with mine, but they are too wide for stock tr3 rims.

If you have Walmart mount your tires, make sure they know to wrap the inside of the wheels to keep the tube from contacting the spokes. They also probably won't have the equipment to properly balance wire wheels. The center holes aren't always perfect, so they should have special cones to grip the tapers where the wheel mounts.

Last edited:

GilsTR

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Check online with Summit Racing.
They have these tires @$119 and free shipping.
I buy my tires there and have experienced excellent service.
last order delivered in 24hrs!
Gil. NoCal

jfarris

Jedi Trainee
Gold
Country flag
I recently struggled with the same decision.
I got a similar quote from Hendrix on Nexen SB802tires:
[FONT=&quot]Nexen 165/80/15 radial...........................................................................$ 89.95 each[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Correct size heavy duty tube made for wire wheels...............................$ 29.95 each[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Prep,mount,shave,true,balance,clean and tag.......................................$ 85.00 each[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Shipping / Handling / Insurance to AL....................................................$ 50.00 each[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] -------------------------[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] $ 254.90 each
I opted to purchase the same tire on Amazon for $62.44 each, buy the Smooth Ride Wire Wheel Balancing Cones from the UK and pay a friend at a "driving school" to mount and balance the tires/wheels. I used new tubes, stem grommets, and wheel bands. He used stick on weights (black) in the center of the wheels behind the wires, static balance mode. The balancing cones helped, but a couple of my wheels are a bit out of true. I have driven several times locally and taken one 200 mile round trip. The tires appear to be a good general use fit - certainly not original. I have a vibration on one of the fronts at 48-50 mph, but I'm pretty sure it is a wheel issue. I haven't had time to rotate them front to back.
I invested about $550 in my new tires and installation.
If I had it to do again, I think I would use Hendrix because they true both the wheels and tires.
I would get some "old style" lead weights so the wheels would be dynamically balanced versus statically balanced.
A little more useful info:
The balancing cones worked well and mounted the tire correctly on the machine. They outer cone was a tight fit and stuck to one of my wheels. We had to use a rubber mallet to tap it off. That cracked one side (of course, it is circular) but it was still usable.
Good luck!
[/FONT]

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I have a vibration on one of the fronts at 48-50 mph, but I'm pretty sure it is a wheel issue. I haven't had time to rotate them front to back.
Could also be hubs and/or rotors. I've found several front hubs that don't run true; and rotors that are out of balance even when running true. I first noticed I had a problem when I had the wheel off, and the hub wouldn't stay where I put it!

This hub had some .025" just a few inches from the center, which would cause about 1/8" at the tread.
KZycRId.jpg