• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Driverless Car - a scenario

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
One can skip to about 35 seconds in (though the first part sort of sets the stage):

Country flag
Back in the golden days of car customizers, George Barris built a car called the Golden Sahara. As with many custom cars, it was given a makeover and became the Golden Sahara II.

The second version of the Golden Sahara (seen in the video clip) featured autonomous braking and multiple driving controls.

Read more: https://autoweek.com/article/classic-cars/basement-find-golden-sahara-back-public-eye#ixzz5V3756sOE

To many, the Golden Sahara II is considered the first self driving car. And with the current interest in self driving cars, the restoration of the Golden Sahara II is being filmed for a documentary. My friend Gregory Alanzo, owner of Speakeasy Customs & Classics in Chicago is doing the restoration.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
If hackers can break into the Pentagon, what chance does a car or truck have? Except for paraplegics and blind people, I see no use for driverless cars.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
There are very few humans I'm comfortable riding with, let alone an A.I. driver. Knowing there are vehicles "out there" with no human at the helm and I'm driving among 'em frightens the *stuff* outta me.

Country flag
Saw a story the other day on PBS about driverless cars and trucks in Australia. One of the proclaimed experts predicted that in 20 years in the western world it could be illegal to have a driver since in her opinion computers will be so much more reliable, not getting tired or distracted or otherwise less than optimal. And said that for those old folks who like to drive, maybe there will be tracks where they could keep their driver required car so they could pretend it was the old times.

Now that being said, I think there are people who should be in a driverless car. If you're text history shows sending while you're going somewhere, driverless. If you can't leave your phone in your pocket at a market checkout, driverless.
And 100 other examples...

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
In a weird sort of way, I wonder if having some driver-less cars on the roads will make human drivers "safer". See the driver-less car ahead, give it plenty of space, be very careful when it signals a turn or its brake lights come on ... basically "slow down and stay away".

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Reading through some of the reports, most the collisions are either when the car is in manual mode or is rear ended by another vehicle. So, "slow down and stay away" is good advice.

That would have been my guess.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
I figure if you don't want to drive, get a cab, bus or limo. Then what fun is driving?

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I figure if you don't want to drive, get a cab, bus or limo.

This may be the future of Uber, cabs... buses. Yikes.

I should be safe, as I'm sure I'll be dead by then. :playful:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Only 60% of Americans have had sex in a car?

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Well I certainly feel for the other 40%

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
So, English car drivers have a blanket handy why? Back seat size?

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
This little poem I wrote a few years ago seems to fit in quite well here.

It happened in a '50 Merc
Too many years ago.
It's top was chopped, it's curves dechromed,
And chassis slung quite low,
With flathead V8 motor that
Could make the back wheels spin
And paint in charcoal primer, as
Was popular back then.

The gym was filled with cheers and shouts
For high school basketball,
But she and I had other thoughts
In mind, and so as all