• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Montreal to Minneapolis

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Just finished watching #1 son fly a return trip back from Montreal to Minneapolis. www.flightradar24.com is pretty neat way to track flights. Sometimes I'll see a flight at 37k feet over my town and can click on the little airplane icon to see all the details - airline, type of plane, registration, flight number, altitude, groundspeed, etc.

Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 8.58.48 PM.jpg

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
We use FlightRadar24 sometimes at the air museum, showing folks how "busy" our airspace can be. Really amazing - and a bit unsettling - how much info is public and easily available these days.

Another interesting site:

https://www.liveatc.net

Listen to tower control radio comms at dozens of major airports. You also get current METARS for each center chosen.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
We use FlightRadar24 sometimes at the air museum, showing folks how "busy" our airspace can be. Really amazing - and a bit unsettling - how much info is public and easily available these days.

Another interesting site:

https://www.liveatc.net

Listen to tower control radio comms at dozens of major airports. You also get current METARS for each center chosen.

Only lists Windows as supported OS, no Mac. Darn.

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Love flight radar
son sends the tail number and can watch β€˜the flight and know when to head to the airport to pick them up!

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Love flight radar
son sends the tail number and can watch β€˜the flight and know when to head to the airport to pick them up!

It's lots of fun. As I type this, son is at 27k feet over Indianapolis headed to Detroit.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Recently I heard a CBC radio story about Siri helping an Autistic boy become more verbal and confident. The story opened with his mom recounting the story of her finding out that you can ask Siri what plane is currently flying overhead. She says out loud to herself - "why would anyone want to know what plane is flying overhead?!" Her son is walking through the room and without missing a beat says; "so that we will know who we are waving to mom."

lovely