• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Xp-82

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Here's another "double" that flew but didn't quite catch on. Only about 20 were built, and as far as I know, it's never been resurrected like the 82.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1980-117-01,_Aufklärungsflugzeug_Blohm_-_Voß_BV_141.jpg

Blohm-Voss 141

https://www.militaryfactory.com/aircraft/detail.asp?aircraft_id=781

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I was flying out of Kearney Nebraska for Deluxe Grain Dryers, based there, which was a Military airfield during WW2. I was told that the twin Mustang was based there. Hard to remember, but I think the flight office had a couple pictures on the wall showing them, to many years passed. :rolleyes2:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
From what I've heard about the Blohm Voss 141 it was actually a really good flying aircraft, just really unconventional looking.

The P-82 is a really cool aircraft and the fact that he ran across the original prototype is just amazing. It would really be something to see in person.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
That was my first thought too. Yikes! (Maybe that's why it didn't catch on).

Would make it easier for the pilot to bail out without getting hung up up on anything. :encouragement: Might not of trimmed out very well with the engine being a little off center of the wing. Goofy design, but the Germans had some odd looking aircraft anyway. Some worked, some didn't.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
So they went with Allison over Rolls for power?!?

No wonder it never made production. :smirk:

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
More things to keep in mind than a runway. Power lines, overpasses, signs over the freeway (you see one in the video), oh, and cars too.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Two great personalities -- Walter Soplata, who saved a lot of airplanes from being turned into aluminum cans, and, of course, Tom Reilly is a legend in the world warbirds.

There's still quite a few aircraft on the Soplata Farm. Collectors are circling like vultures waiting for the day they are put up for sale. Walter was always pretty secretive and didn't want people on his farm or even knowing exactly what he had. Not too far away from Soplata was another collector who took an opposite approach, Leon Cleaver. Cleaver was kind of a "Walter Soplata Light". The difference was he kept his collection in plain sight and had no qualms with letting visitors come see what he had. As he got older, he decided to start clearing his collection while he still had the ability and faculties to do so. Leon eventually sold off his entire collection.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Tom, Where’s the rest of the horizontal stabilizer?
If it flys as shown then.... scary :scared::scared:

The weight of the cupola on the starboard wing offset the lack of a horizontal stab on the right side. it was done that way to keep the plane in balance. It was supposed to be a reconnaissance platform. However, the Luftwaffe showed a marked preference for the FW-189 in that role.