• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Timing chain

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Looking at timing chains for my Tr6 engine rebuild. Moss has 2 listed. One for $8 and a upgrade to $40. What a huge difference. What is the difference, who makes it and is it worth the extra $. they are both double row too and don't what a cheap one it's got to last.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
When I did the resto on my 6 approx eight years ago I ordered a new timing chain from a major supplier. When it arrived it had a sticker that said “Made in India”. I returned it and kept the original.

Alfred E. Neuman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Timing chain is just a roller chain, like any bike chain. When I managed a bike service shop, I'd always tell people to get the best chain they could afford because what you're paying for is materials and machining/tolerances. Chains "stretch" by the pin the rollers ride on wearing, and letting the end plates wear grooves into them so the effective length between each link gets slightly larger. On better chains, the pins are a much harder steel so they wear slower than a cheaper chain with softer metal in the pins.
If you can get the spec on the more expensive chain and make sure it's got better steel and higher tolerances, I'd go with the more expensive chain. What's an extra $30-40 in the scheme of an engine rebuild?

OP
Got_All_4

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
yep I agree Alfred but there is such a difference in price and I'm with you on the cost of the rebuild but also understand what Elliot is saying. A lot of discussion about the quality of our parts anymore and who is to say that the uprated chain isn't made in a lessor quality in a plant in India, China or the like. If you see a TRW, Beck Arnley, Cloyes, ITM or any more recognizable name is it best to by that one?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
yep I agree Alfred but there is such a difference in price and I'm with you on the cost of the rebuild but also understand what Elliot is saying. A lot of discussion about the quality of our parts anymore and who is to say that the uprated chain isn't made in a lessor quality in a plant in India, China or the like. If you see a TRW, Beck Arnley, Cloyes, ITM or any more recognizable name is it best to by that one?

It says on the Moss website that the expensive chain is made by Iwis in Germany. The Iwis name is not as recognizable as, say, TRW; but they are known for quality timing components and are OEM suppliers to the likes of BMW and Mercedes. In Stag circles, they are known as the gold standard, as the cheap chains have been known to fail in as little as 20,000 miles. The Stag motor is an interference design, so a broken chain is major damage.

IMO, Moss has a markup of around 40-50%, so that are paying about $4 wholesale for that $8 chain. Now count the number of parts involved. I don't know how many links a TR6 uses offhand, but each link involves 2 side plates, a center plate, two rollers and a pin; all of which are critical to long life. The pins and rollers should be a quality steel alloy, hardened and tempered to the right hardness. The plates have to be just the right length between the holes, and the holes have to fit the pins. Add some tooling, and now how much is left over for inspection?

I'd pop for the $40 version.
In fact, I've got a pair of Iwis chains on the shelf for my Stag motor, and they cost me a lot more than $40.

My Dad used to say "There's a certain price you have to pay for hay. Of course, it's cheaper after it's been through the horse!"

Joe Schlosser

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Just think of the time and effort to replace a timing chain. Buy the best available.

titanic

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Another problem with the "pride of India" timing chains is the side plates have a rough edge that tend to wear a groove in the equally crappy 3rd world tensioner. The "economy sprocket set was also a disappointment as the crank sprocket ID required honing to fit and the steel seemed softer than the original. The parts didn't come from Moss, but probably from the same source.
Berry

Down Under Bill

Freshman Member
Country flag
Having been involved with chain sales for many years let me make one statement. The best chain I have ever dealt with was German and Iwis was the brand. Finis

JagConsult2

Freshman Member
Country flag
used to do a plethora of Jaguar engines--always used the Italian REGINA EXTRA brand--never a probleem. the India and China chains use substandard steel--also why TR motor liners were a problem not that many years ago--cheap steel. to solve the TR bore issue- we rebored the original liners and had new piston ordered from Jahns or Venolia in Cal. in proper oversize. BTW- we kept the $$$ in the USA!!!