Thread: Healey Shop on Long Island

Forum to discuss Austin Healey Sports Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Healey Shop on Long Island

Looking to have some work done to my 56 100 V8 in the future. Is BMC in St. James NY still around? I came across this shop listed on various forums. Did they move or close? Would like to find a shop on Long Island, preferably in Suffolk County that has some knowledge about Healeys.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Re: Healey Shop on Long Island

MGA Guru says it appears defunct: https://mgaguru.com/links/shops_na2.htm If you don't mind traveling try Highland Automotive, Highland, NY: http://www.highlandautomotiverestoration.com/ They know Healeys and Nasty Healeys
    Rick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like a great shop Rick. Just wish it was closer, I would like to be able to stop in from time to time while the car is being worked on. Would be tough to do with a 2.5 hour drive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Go to the MGAGURU.com and click on his banner at the top that says Going Mobil. This will bring you to a listing of all the dates in his travels. Go to the bottom of the listing for October 1 thru 15, 2018, click that. He is currently visiting shops that work on British Cars to verify their existence and quality. He has recently been on Long Island, he may still be out there. I did not read his current threads so I can't say what he has posted. But he will post about all shops he finds that he thinks are a good bet to get work done.
    http://www.mgaguru.com/
    About TV Shows-
    "...you really can't restore a car in 10 days. I don't want to watch a race where people have to restore it in a week. It's not going to drive, and those cars never work. In real life, it takes years to get it right. " Jay Leno.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

WoW! Great documentation!! Too bad he didn’t make it further east on the island. He could’ve went all the way to Orient Point and taken the ferry across over to New London CT.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, when he was on the east coast he should've taken the ferry from New London to Orient Point. Then visited the vineyards, great views through the east end of Long Island.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I went back and read some of his recent post. He has been searching out shops that have been posted to his shops list over the years or shops that he has learned of during his travels to verify or authenticate them. If he didn't go on east on long Island it could be assumed that he had no record of other shops out there. (he is no tourist, he rarely takes an interest in sight seeing). His journey is actually very amazing, he has been on the road with his MGA for years and has traveled through out ALL of North American and Canada. His son is traveling with him whom he calls the Navigator. His web site which has been developed over 40 years is an unbelievable resource for MGA and some MGB owners.
    About TV Shows-
    "...you really can't restore a car in 10 days. I don't want to watch a race where people have to restore it in a week. It's not going to drive, and those cars never work. In real life, it takes years to get it right. " Jay Leno.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

True, there are a few shops that I know of on the east end but they are high dollar shops. Just looking for a trust worthy shop with some Healey experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

OT, but do I recognize these cars...? (seen on mgaguru's report of Michael's Vintage Racing in Hopewell Junction)

The one getting attention in that pictures looks like the same Ginetta my Healey is parked next to at Sebring a couple years ago

http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/image.php
    57 Healey BN6L-942 Wine Red/Honey Tan
    99 BMW M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew Supercharger
    01 BMW M Rdstr Steel Gray Performance Center (factory) Delivery
    11 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue Metallic Wife's Turbo Hauler

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

"Michael's Vintage Racing" is owned and run by Michael Clifford SR. and his son Michael Clifford JR. They might still be listed as an MG shop and that is probably a result of their involvement with Elva Couriers which have MGA/B engines. Though the Cliffords pretty much exclusively devote their energy to the preparation and support of race cars it wouldn't hurt to give them a call and I can recommend them highly.

The two white cars in the pictures are mine--an Elva MK IV sports racer in the foreground and a Ginetta G4 in back. Randy paid me a visit at Sebring last year when I was racing the Ginetta and we have plans to meet there again for this year's event Nov 30--Dec 1 & 2.

Best--Michael Oritt
    1954 Austin-Healey 100 Le Mans
    1958 Elva Courier (FOR SALE)
    1959 Elva MK IV Sports Racer
    1961 Ginetta G4