• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New member, air/ fuel ratio question

Threaley

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hi Healey fans,
I've been lurking here a long time getting my answers from old threads so I'd like to start off by saying thanks for all the good info which you guys have posted here.
It has been an immense asset and resource.

I'm a long time Healey fan. I was probably about 12 years old in 1968 when I noticed my first Healey and asked one of the older kids "what was that?"
Ten years later I bought a BN7 that needed just about everything and drove it around on the back roads with no license tabs, brake/tail lights, or any of those other refinements the law is always so fussy about.
That's been a long time ago, it's well sorted out now, and it hasn't let me down for many years.
Why couldn't I leave well enough alone?

About 10 years ago while perusing Craigslist I found a BJ7 which followed me home. Another CL AH-BJ7 followed me home a couple years later, but that's another story.

It was in a basket and needed everything but now many years later the finish line is in sight.
I have gone all out to make a nice car and very close to original in most respects with a few exceptions.
It has a BJ8 cam in mild race configuration and a Monza exhaust, with a tri carb set-up with HS4 carbs off a '62 which I have just rebuilt including new shafts and bushings.
After synchronizing the carbs to the best of my abilities it runs out well and has plenty of pep although I'm sure it will behave a little differently once the weight of windshield, interior, doors, bumpers, and all those other refinements are added on.

My question, if anyone could be so good as to offer some advice; what is the best plan for setting the air/fuel ratio using oxygen sensors for a motor with triple carbs and dual exhaust?
Each exhaust tube will be accommodating the exhaust from three cylinders while each pair of cylinders are supplied by a single carbs so each tube will have the exhaust gas of 1 -1/2 carbs. I'm wavering between permanently mounted sensors and just something temporarily scabbed onto the end of the pipes.

Thoughts and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Welcome to the BCF! You will probably get more responses to your specific Healey questions by posting them in the Austin Healey forum here. It's very active.

OP
T

Threaley

Freshman Member
Country flag
20180928_183654.jpg

OP
T

Threaley

Freshman Member
Country flag
I'll try to post something better at some point in the future as the projects (slowly) progress.
My photography and technology skills are obviously limited. :smile: