• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Gearbox and axle serial numbers

SteveHall64Healey

Jedi Trainee
Hi All,

The heritage certificate for my BJ8 reports gearbox and axle serial numbers, in addition to body, engine number and options, etc. Engine, body and Chasis number all match, but I wondered if anyone could answer two related questions:

1) the recorded serial number for the axle is 24197. Where would I find the serial number on the axle? There are casting part numbers and ‘mowog’ in raised letters visible but I can’t find anything resembling a serial number.
2) the recorded serial number for the gearbox is ‘755’. The serial number on my gearbox doesn’t match or even contain ‘755’. I don’t understand why a gearbox of this type,which was made in large numbers, would carry only a 3 digit serial number - any advice?

thanks,
steve

D

Deleted member 21878

Both my gearbox and rear dif had the correct numbers stamped in them.

the gearbox i believe was on the passenger side and i can't quite remember where i saw the rear numbers.

OP
S

SteveHall64Healey

Jedi Trainee
Gearbox serial number was readily found, although I’m puzzled as to why the heritage certificate is only 3 digits. I cannot find a stamped number in the axle anywhere.

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The rear axle serial number can be found as shown in the attachments, but not all rear axles are serialized. I have no idea why that is, but having collected 1,047 BMIHT certificates for BJ8s so far, I know that a rear axle number is frequently not given, including for my BJ8. Nor does my rear axle have a serial number stamped on it.

Early BJ8 gearboxes can have only three digits. The first BJ8 starting assembly (25317) had gearbox serial number 101. The gearbox serial number for chassis 25954 is 751. The serial number for chassis 25915 is 753. BJ8 gearbox serial numbers usually have an "M" stamped above the number to distinguish the BJ8 gearbox from that for a BJ7.

If your gearbox serial number does not agree with the BMIHT certificate, then that gearbox is not original to your car or BMIHT has made a mistake on the certificate. Mistakes are far too frequent on certificates considering how important they are viewed by those who buy them, and the price charged for them
You make the statement that the engine, body, and VIN plates on your car match. But, do you know that all these items are factory-issue? Have you ever verified the original VIN stamped on the right front shock tower? There are a LOT of cars out there with replaced identity plates, and the owner isn't even aware of it.

SteveHall64Healey: Since I have no record of gearbox 755 or rear axle 24197, I conclude that you have not contributed the details of your BJ8 to the registry. I would like to make another appeal to ALL BJ8 owners to do that (see the BJ8 Registry button at the top of the forum home page). The registry currently has data, records, and ownership history for 52% of total BJ8 production (9,193 of 17,712 cars built). Consequently, it is a very large database that can be a unique and valuable resource for any BJ8 owner who has occasion to use it. The data you contribute for your car could be helpful to some other owner who has questions about his/her own car. Ask me how and give me a chance to discuss the pros and cons with you before you decide not to participate.

Attachments

• rear axle number.jpg
    rear axle number.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 23921 (25589).jpg
    23921 (25589).jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
OP
S

SteveHall64Healey

Jedi Trainee
Thanks for the info. I will take a look when I have the car back on the lift, and will definitely look for confirming info on the shock tower.

I may be dense on this, but I do not see a link to enter my car into the registry. Can you post a url?

thanks

Steve

Last edited:

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks for the info. I will take a look when I have the car back on the lift, and will definitely look for confirming info on the shock tower.

I may be dense on this, but I do not see a link to enter my car into the registry. Can you post a url?

thanks

Steve

Steve, I tried to post a more detailed procedure for accessing the BJ8 Registry questionnaire but there is something in it that the forum software police doesn't like because it prevents it from posting with words that raise its suspicion.

Please notice a little way down from the top of the main Austin-Healey forum page (where all the A-H forum threads are listed) there is this statement:
IMPORTANT! To access the below Registry forms, you will need to enter the following:
Below that you should see the links to BJ8 Registry, BJ7 Registry, A-H 100 Registry. Click on "BJ8 Registry" and note the requirements as directed in the red statement.

If that doesn't work for you, then please e-mail me directly sbyers@ec.rr.com.

Thanks for contributing the details of your BJ8 to the Registry.

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks for the info, I have submitted my info to the registry.
steve

Thanks very much, Steve. The questionnaire has been received. I have sent you some information about your car that you may not know, via direct e-mail.