• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Kind of an engine question

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I may <may> have the opportunity to pick up an engine in the near future - a none LBC engine BTW. This would ultimately lead to an engine swap for Ms Triss (I know I am bonkers but it's an addiction) The engine is inexpensive enough to get (I think) whether or not I use it for the Midget.

It hasn't run in a while - but it spins. So, if you had such an engine come your way, would you rebuild or refresh the engine or would you preserve it as is - fog the pistons etc. but leave it till it was time to be used?

thoughts?

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
If your current motor is running fine and there's no need to do a swap, I'd take the time to go through the engine. It would not be fun to do an engine swap and then have the motor crap out on you. Then you're stuck for a while having to rebuild the motor anyway.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I may <may> have the opportunity to pick up an engine in the near future - a none LBC engine BTW. This would ultimately lead to an engine swap for Ms Triss (I know I am bonkers but it's an addiction) The engine is inexpensive enough to get (I think) whether or not I use it for the Midget.

It hasn't run in a while - but it spins. So, if you had such an engine come your way, would you rebuild or refresh the engine or would you preserve it as is - fog the pistons etc. but leave it till it was time to be used?

thoughts?
JP,
I would build a cradle for the new engine and do a compression check to see where you stand. I have 2 rebuilt 1275s built to different specs sitting in my shop for a ‘one of these days’ project that may never come and it’s money I’ll never get back. They were fun projects, but I tend to refurbish or build thing to go on the shelf in hope that the right project comes along. I had 4 TR4a heaters that i restored go up in smoke in the shop fire when I had one TR4a...go figure.
Rut

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
+1 on the compression test. You will know more after the test.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
How about dismantling it and check its condition? See what it needs and start ordering parts (maybe when they are on sale) and rebuild it when you get closer to the swap. What motor is it? I just want to see how crazy you are.

only a little crazy. It is a Suzuki Swift GTI G13b engine.

twin cam 1.3 100 horses and about 165 lbs. bolts up to a Samurai Transmission (apparantly) Bugzuki has one.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
JP,
Iirc, Bugzuki had a really complicated exhaust header, but I haven’t looked at it in awhile. Awesome find and worth buying!
Rut

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
JP,
Iirc, Bugzuki had a really complicated exhaust header, but I haven’t looked at it in awhile. Awesome find and worth buying!
Rut

Put in an offer this morning - will keep you posted.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
well i put in something fairly close to a lowball offer - and never heard back - and the ad is gone, which, considering that I have no space anyway is probably a good thing. In other news the FMC motorhome appears to be sold as well which is really good as I don't actually even want a motorhome (I just want that one - I have a problem)

:cheers:

nomad

Yoda
If its any consolation a local fellow built a Bugzuki and it was so hairy he didn't like it. Ending up selling it not long after he finished it. Very peaky little engine he claimed.

I have no personal experience however.

Kurt

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
If its any consolation a local fellow built a Bugzuki and it was so hairy he didn't like it. Ending up selling it not long after he finished it. Very peaky little engine he claimed.

I have no personal experience however.

Kurt

There is that - at our annual car show last month, there was a guy with a K series Rover? engine under the hood - looked like it belonged but, 200hp would have my seat puckering.

As mentioned, I am not even really planning a swap but, it is one of relatively few engines that, 1. are small enough, 2, are light enough and 3. have power worth the swap and 4. bolt up to a rear wheel drive transmission.

That said, I am also constantly intrigued by the possibilities offered by the Suzuki Samurai transmission conversions - there seem to be plates to convert pretty much any VW engine to a suzuki transmission (including diesel ;)