• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

win doze ten

• Thread starter Deleted member 8987
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 8987

You know my mantra....and position...that I will never, ever buy anything more from MS.

Well, I have a friend..whose company always dumps old hardware/software..making discards available to employees.....so he said he's bringing me a W10 laptop.

Now I get to see if I can bypass the bs.

I know I can on 8 and 8.1......in fact, other than a "FREE" upgrade to 8.1PRO from 8.0 whatever, there has never been an update to this laptop.

I shall consider it a challenge.

And NO Office 365.....NO cloud.....have a "developers" copy of 2007 I will load just to see......
Just like I needed more to "play" with.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I acquired a couple year old AlienWare desktop last year for a decent price. It had Windows 8 on it and upgraded to Windows 10 after awhile. I wound just wound up installing a developers copy of Windows 7 and it has run great since.

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

I have multiple XP copies with licenses.....but thought I'd see if ten is even remotely fixable.

8 is..remotely...to the point I no longer get migraines moving between 8 laptop (now referred to as "XP-8") and the XP desktops (multiple).

Big deals:

Start button.
Normal start menu.
Normal desktop (no metro, hot spots or charms)
Desktop icon on taskbar, left side, big.
Normal run function (without search).
Normal search function.
E-mail not of MS Office configuration.
Kill any IE above 8, and all Edge.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Those are the same reasons I only run pre-windows 8 at home. If only I could change the OS on my work computer, it has 10 installed and I abhor it.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
When we got hand-held devices and monitors with touch screens, Windblows 10 was inevitable. Going to a client tomorrow to sort out a win10 machine refusing to behave on a two-monitor setup. Dreading it, too.

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

I disable touch screens. One issue is eyeglass focal point. And mounted distance between monitor and chair. NOT going to have something I have to move to reach every time I need something.

Then, want to see if I can disable updates like I can on XP, 7, 8 and 8.1.

Kill telemetry, even if it's in the registry.....the unit will NOT be doin' no talkin' to Redmond.

Start10 looks promising....first thing I did on this laptop was Start8, then went from there.

Was successful enough this unit fooled a MS engineer who was on the 8 development team.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Classic Shell has different menu designs and overrides Windows menu. Looks and works like sevens menu, can be customized .

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Since I don't use 10 at home I'm not 100% sure but I don't think that you can disable updates on 10; I know my work computer updates quite often.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
As I understand it, W10 personal you cannot control updates. They just happen. Wife's laptop has 10 personal but she is mostly converted over to her iMac. I think I almost have her converted to Linux on the laptop too. W10 pro supposedly you can control but from my experience with it, MS is pretty sneaky about getting them in even though you thought you said NO.

OP
D

Deleted member 8987

As I understand it, W10 personal you cannot control updates. They just happen. Wife's laptop has 10 personal but she is mostly converted over to her iMac. I think I almost have her converted to Linux on the laptop too. W10 pro supposedly you can control but from my experience with it, MS is pretty sneaky about getting them in even though you thought you said NO.

Cannot avoid in home versions, and all you can do with the expensive versions is delay updates....a bit. Most folks set to update at 0200 and leave the box on when they go to bed.

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have a Windows 10 tablet and laptop - if you are using wifi, it is possible to flag the wireless connection as "metered" and then Windows will be nice enough to not download updates over it.

If you are on a hard-wired ethernet (like most desktop machines) there is no way to stop it unless you have the Enterprise version and even then it is very hard and involves some registry hacking to make it think there is a domain-level policy in place. If your network is sophisticated enough to be running your own DNS or configurable router, it may be possible to block communication to the MS update servers but I have no explored those options yet.