• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ten Year Renewal Project

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
It has been approximately ten years since I wrapped up (if you ever really complete a restoration of a Healey) the restoration of the Bloody Beast. He has weathered the ten years quite well – better than me, that is for sure! I have taken good care of the Beastand completed periodic maintenance as one should. There have been a few things along the way that have required attention,such as the failure of the brake master cylinder seal that led to the replacement of both masters and the clutch slave cylinder while Iwas at it. However, for the most part, it has simply been fluid changes, tire replacements and etc.

I am sad to report that I have not driven the Healey as much as I should have during the time since I finished the restoration.About a month after I completed the restoration work I drove the Bloody Beast 8,000 miles in a cross-country trip fromRehoboth Beach, Delaware to California, up the coast to Victoria, BC and then back to Harrisonburg, VA. Between helping myson with his Bugeye, restoring a 1964 Jaguar MK2, and maintaining the 1987 Alfa, a 1969 MB 280SL and the Porsche in additionto the daily drivers there just wasn’t much time to drive! I am ashamed to say that I only put an additional 2,878 miles on theHealey in the ensuing nine-plus years. Driving, however, is the whole point of having a sports car and that is certainly true for anAustin Healey roadster. My son has now taken the Bugeye to his home. I have sold the Jaguar and the Mercedes. I now intend to spend more time driving the Bloody Beast!

After almost ten years I thought it might be healthy to go over the car carefully and examine the condition of components, check tolerances, and replace items that typically wear – even though they might be in operable condition at the moment. Some items such as rubber hoses may need replacement due to age rather than wear.

I have prepared an initial draft of a check list for this ten year renewal process, but it only a draft and I would love to have comments and suggestions from others on this list so… if you have time to look at my initial list and share your thoughts it can be found on my website at this link:https://valvechatter.us/?p=9570

You can either leave comments on the web site or you can respond here with suggested additions to the list. Once I have a pretty comprehensive list that has benefitted from the wisdom of the group, I will make a final check list available so that others may have the document.

Thanks so much,
Lin

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Hi Lin,

Good to hear from you. I might suggest if you still have rubber brake hoses it would be a good time to upgrade to stainless if not. Techna-fit sells them at prices better than the usual suspects: https://www.techna-fit.com/ You might want to check on your caliper and brake cylinder pistons for corrosion if it's been sitting with the same fluid that long. Also, you might want to do some research on Redline for the transmission. I remember some folks saying it doesn't work well with the Healey overdrive. I think there's some posts on the forum about it.

OP
Lin

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
Thanks for your response, Rick! I have stainless steel hoses but will be checking them anyway. Though I have not driven the car any long distances I have always taken it out every few weeks and drove it to get it to operating temps. Hydraulic fluid has actually been changed a couple of times in the nine year period. I use MT-90 in my Supra five speed.

All good suggestions - thank you!

Lin