• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Living the Retirement Dream

Peepers

Freshman Member
So here I am, starting a journey of restoration I hope I don't regret.

I guess I'm supposed to tell my story...

During a time several decades ago when I owned and operated my own collision shop, a customer came to me with a 1967 BJ8 (this was in the early '70's, and he had bought it brand new in '67) that he wanted me to repair some typical rust issues (just rockers and door jamb replacements) and then a complete paint job. It was a running/driving car that had never been in any accidents that he had used as his daily for several years.
It wasn't really that bad, but he just wanted to put it "like new" again.
So the car sat for a month or so waiting for parts, when the customer called me to chat.
During the conversation, he told me that maybe he wasn't so much in love with the car anymore because he got used to not having it, and I told him that maybe I was getting to like his car more than perhaps he did. :emmersed:

So to keep the story short, I bought the car from him, drove it myself for a couple of years, then ended up parking it for almost 40 years (always inside, of course) because life happened and I ended up changing careers to finally retire and have some time for myself just recently.

Now to cut to the chase, I'm thinking that the car merits more than just a repair and paint at this point, so now I have to think exactly how far I want to go with "restoration".

THE FACTS: As I said, it's a 1967 BJ8, so that makes it a Mark III, of sort of late manufacture (serial #418** I wouldn't mind posting the actual serial number but it seems around here that it's not good to do so).
It still sports it's original paint finish (pretty faded by now) of Red with a Black interior. It's entirely original at this point right down to the last nut and bolt with just one exception; the original fuel pump failed during the time I was driving it so I replaced it with a better working alternative.

I actually have begun the resto so the fenders are off and things like that, so it's not too pretty at the moment, but I'll post some pictures at some point.
Meanwhile, it might take me a while to make some serious decisions as to how and how far to proceed before jumping in.
In the mean time, I'll be wading through this forum for ideas and with some questions which I'm hoping will help me a lot in making those decisions.

That's it. That's all I got.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Welcome aboard! You will find we have a very active, friendly, helpful and engaging Austin Healey group here! Also, when you go into the Austin Healey forum here, look near the top and you will see a link for a BJ8 registry (run by Steve Byers). You can "register" your car there if you like. Steve maintains this registry of thousands of BJ8s. (There is a notice for that registry page that you need to use a specific user name and password to get to the page (to keep spam-bots out).

Cheers,
Basil

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello Peepers

Welcome to the forum

Welcome to the retirement dream as well. You need something to keep the gray matter working and a total restore will do that.

Sounds like a great car to be working on.

David

OP
P

Peepers

Freshman Member
Welcome Peepers. Post some pictures so we can see what you have to work with. If the interior is in good shape, you might just want to renovate rather than replace.

Well, if I posted a picture of how the steering wheel has weathered over the years, you'd cry.
It's been within inside storage all this time, but time and humidity in a warehouse has destroyed the wood in the steering wheel.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid I'll have to replace way more than I should with a car that has an original 40k miles or so.
Also unfortunately, time has been at least as brutal to me. :sorrow: :smile:

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Well, if I posted a picture of how the steering wheel has weathered over the years, you'd cry.
It's been within inside storage all this time, but time and humidity in a warehouse has destroyed the wood in the steering wheel.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid I'll have to replace way more than I should with a car that has an original 40k miles or so.
Also unfortunately, time has been at least as brutal to me. :sorrow: :smile:

Well Jeepers Peepers (Someone had to say it :wink-new:smile:, we'd still like to see some pictures!

OP
P

Peepers

Freshman Member
Well Jeepers Peepers (Someone had to say it :wink-new:smile:, we'd still like to see some pictures!

Well, I don't really want to populate this New Member post with any of my restoration stuff since that should all be covered in the main forums, but...
Since the Admin hisownself is leaning on me to post a pic, I guess I better hop to it.

Since I mentioned how time has not been kind to the original steering wheel of my '67 BJ8, that's what I'll show here. Yea. Ugly. I know.
The mileage shown, however, is original and not turned over. I don't think 42K miles is terribly "high mileage" for a 51 year old car.

And don't even get me talking about my '72 V-12 E-Type cuz I'm not sure I'll live long enough to get to it. That might end up for sale at some point later on if time and age (mine) starts beating me up.

Attachments

• BJ8-Wheel.jpg
    BJ8-Wheel.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 14