• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Chevy Chevette

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Going the other way,on my way to work.
Medium Brown,& super clean.
I can't remember the last time I saw one on the street.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
we had a diesel one show up at cruise nights for a while - amazing (and fun) to still see them.

dklawson

Yoda
My mom test drove one back in the mid 1970s. I was SO glad she decided it was not the car for her. I distinctly remember that every time the car was put into reverse and backed up, the stench of rotten eggs (from the catalytic converter) filled the passenger compartment. That said, during high-school I worked with a guy who drove one daily and loved it.

Like you, it's been years since I've seen one on the road.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Rented one once from Dulles Airport. Window crank came off in my wife's hand. Another POS from the good folks who brought you the Vega and the Cavalier.

dklawson

Yoda
She went with a 4-speed Honda Civic which she claims is the best car she ever owned.

Oddly enough, it was 1976 when my mom test drove the Chevette. She also test drove the Datsun B210 and the Civic. She chose the Civic (automatic) and drove it for the next 10 years. She called me in tears when her car was hit and totaled. (The poor car was hit while parked). She loved her Civic and was planning on keeping it forever. It was the first car she had purchased new and just for herself.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
There was a local shop a couple years ago selling a Chevette that had been owned by the proverbial little old lady since new. Somewhere around 20,000 miles, it was the "Scooter" model which was the stripper version, don't think it even had a radio. No A/C of course, wind up windows etc. I think he was trying to sell it for her for something like $800. A simple RWD platform, probably wouldn't have been too hard to make it run forever.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Some people have a knack for buying bad cars. I had a secretary who had an AMC Gremlin and a Volare. Nothing but trouble. My late bro in law had a DKW and a Rover.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Some people have a knack for buying bad cars. I had a secretary who had an AMC Gremlin and a Volare. Nothing but trouble. My late bro in law had a DKW and a Rover.

I would have any of those - even the Volare. :smile: (but only a wagon with a 6 cylinder engine) - My dad had a DKW. A friend's mother had a poverty spec Pinto - no radio/ vinyl seats/ 4 speed (maybe 3 speed?)/ trunk/ but it sure was bright red.

OP
AngliaGT

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I saw it again today.It sounds like it has a V8 in it.

dklawson

Yoda
When I was a teenager I had not experienced driving yet when the Chevette was introduced. However, within a year of my mom buying the Civic a friend got his father's old '64 MGB. After driving the MGB, the Civic, one sister's VW Squareback, another sister's Vega, and a friend's Pinto... I was convinced that I would probably never own a small American car. Though I am sure they have improved, I am still hesitant about American cars... V8 or not.