• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Air filter

Dr_Mike

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The foam of my air filter has disintegrated ( after years of storage). The case says Warnefor(d?), Marketed now by Uniflow but local supplier cannot find it. Anyone got a part number? or other suggestions? Budget is an issue! Parts are not necessarily the same north of the border!

michael

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I think Mike Graham (mgedit) made some from shop vac filters.
Tom

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Not sure what sort of filter you have. The stock filters have no foam though I made some Koozies for mine to keep out desert dust:

FjbMl0m.jpg

I used ShopVac foam on the TR4 but needed a bigger I.D. for the TR3 version.

OP
D

Dr_Mike

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Photo is of the outside of the filter, and my hands. Inside seems to have been foam trapped between two corrugated rings that are still intact. Are you suggesting ( as in an old thread you and others have) that I cut out foam from a shop vac filter and simply replace what i think was there? simple, elegant and cheap.

I have no idea about the physics or mechanics of these things! I started off with a car that had an oil bath, graduated to corrugated paper (a large thing on my wife's BMW 2002), and now I seem to have come to almost nothing except a piece of fluff that falls apart over time!

No oil needed?

Attachments

• IMG_1192.jpg
    IMG_1192.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 135

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I don't know the mechanics of them either - but when I added the foam Koozies shown above they did not change the idle so I concluded air flow was adequate and it seemed that filtration had to be better than just the original wire mesh.

On yours you might note the idle speed without them then again after you have tried a replacement foam element.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
From my experience, a better test would be under load and full throttle. At normal road speeds, a slight or even moderate restriction in air flow would not be noticed.
Tom

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I did use a Shopvac filter to make some foam covers for my original air filters. Foam filters were made from Shopvac filters 905-85 cut to fit width of filter body. You get two carb add-on filters from one vacuum filter. I was not the one to suggest this approach (sorry, don't recall who first posted this information). They have been installed for about 4 years now and seem to work OK. Not really sure how effective they are, but got to a bit better than the "rock catcher" originals alone. I also had some aftermarket filters that I originally planned to use but never came up with a replacement filter material or suitable paper element. Cheers, Mike

Foam_Filters_1.jpg

Foam_Filters_2.jpg

IMGP2294 (Medium).jpg

OP
D

Dr_Mike

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Opened a new pack of Shop-Vac filters only to find they were paper. I suppose that will work if I can get it to encircle the inside "rock catcher". But I will look for the foam under the number qouted. This may be a Canadian thing,
Michael

OP
D

Dr_Mike

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I’m in Canada too, and that part number worked for me a few years ago. Pretty sure I bought at Canadian Tire. Quick look on Amazon suggests similar looking filters still available.

https://www.amazon.ca/HQRP-Shop-Vac...id=1539372243&sr=8-7&keywords=shop-vac+905-85

Cheers, Mike

thanks., CTyre online did not show it, but it was in the local store so I snaffled it. Even in our out of the way neighbourhood good things can be found.

Problem solved! Winter approaching.

Michael

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi Michael ... glad you get sorted out. Sad days, just put my TR3 away for winter yesterday. Cheers, Mike