• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Professional Restoration Recommendations

jparrill

Freshman Member
Hello all,

I need recommendations for professional restoration of my 1978 MGB, preferably in the Mid-Atlantic, but for good value and expertise I would be willing to go farther afield.

Thanks!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
First of all, welcome! great to have you here!

A couple of thoughts.

1. You can't possibly restore this car for less than it costs to buy one. So, unless you are really attached to the car (and I know you are) it makes much much more sense to buy a pristine car - which will still cost less. Let the previous owner take the financial hit.

2. If you really must keep the car, get the body farmed out but do the mechanicals yourself. These are super simple vehicles and there is lots of help online and on the forums. If the car is still a runner don't overdo the mechanicals, make it safe, make it reliable, make it clean and drive it.

3. In the above scenario, join a club and start looking for word of mouth recommendations. In my case, I did the mechanicals but farmed out body and paint. I found a retired bodyman who did jobs in his garage just for fun and a little income - much less than a body shop. Recently I met a guy (near me) who does the same to fund his own restoration). BTW in clubs you might find someone who will take on the restoration because they like to wrench cars but don't want or need another car themselves - we had a guy like this in our Florida club.

4. Or look for a community college with an auto body program - they might need a project, or a student might need cash.

5. Finally (just because I think they look prettier) if you are restoring, either convert to chrome bumpers or get the rubber bumpers colour keyed to the body paint - either will look fabulous!

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
How much can you do yourself? I did a frame-up on an MG TD back in 1973 in a cold, unheated garage but - I had a race car mechanic friend of mine do a valve job and the paint job was done by another friend who owned a body shop. I would never, ever paint a car myself. It's the prep that's so tough - you think its smooth but it isn't. The pros all charge a fortune and some of them are crooks or incompetent. Just look at Fantom Works on Velocity channel. Dan Short knows how to charge for sure. Just my two cents.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I will be relocating to an area near you in a year or two. If you can wait, or want it done sooner you can send me a PM.

OP
J

jparrill

Freshman Member
First of all, welcome! great to have you here!

A couple of thoughts.

1. You can't possibly restore this car for less than it costs to buy one. So, unless you are really attached to the car (and I know you are) it makes much much more sense to buy a pristine car - which will still cost less. Let the previous owner take the financial hit.

2. If you really must keep the car, get the body farmed out but do the mechanicals yourself. These are super simple vehicles and there is lots of help online and on the forums. If the car is still a runner don't overdo the mechanicals, make it safe, make it reliable, make it clean and drive it.

3. In the above scenario, join a club and start looking for word of mouth recommendations. In my case, I did the mechanicals but farmed out body and paint. I found a retired bodyman who did jobs in his garage just for fun and a little income - much less than a body shop. Recently I met a guy (near me) who does the same to fund his own restoration). BTW in clubs you might find someone who will take on the restoration because they like to wrench cars but don't want or need another car themselves - we had a guy like this in our Florida club.

4. Or look for a community college with an auto body program - they might need a project, or a student might need cash.

5. Finally (just because I think they look prettier) if you are restoring, either convert to chrome bumpers or get the rubber bumpers colour keyed to the body paint - either will look fabulous!

Thanks for the response! I have had the car since 1986 when I got my license. We have had it since, with long periods in the garage. it needs a new wiring harness and the engine is running rough. No issues with rust. I was a little disappointed that the top needed replaced because Dad put a new one on, then I realized that was more than 30 years ago! Feeling my age in sneaky ways.

I'm not really equipped or experienced enough to do the work myself. I really need someone dead familiar with British cars to get it running well. A few cosmetic tweaks - new top, a paint job, shift boot, ashtray replaced, etc. and I would love wire wheels. I feel like if I'm not doing the work myself, I would be ahead to take it to someone who is dead familiar with the brand. I took it to my local repair shop and they had it for forever. A grand later and it's just as rough as ever. Might be cheaper to cut to the chase and get what I pay for.

I get what you are saying about the value, but it is important that I get this particular car running well for posterity.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Hap Waldrop in Greenville, SC does a lot of MGs. I think a few folks on this board have used him. he posts here once in a while I think. If you want to try Dan Short at Fantom Works in Norfolk you can speak to him and see what he says. If his TV show is any guide, he always seems to find something or run onto trouble - or maybe those are just the ones that get on TV. Maybe some others here can give you more info on Hap.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
You might try these guys, a bit closer to you. I've known them for decades, good folks.

Boffo Motors

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
As far as classic cars go, MGBs are not high dollar cars, never was and probably never will reach that status. To take one to a professional restorer and I think I'm being conservative at $90.00 to $125.00+ per hour, multiplied by weeks/months, you'll have more than twice as much money in the car than it will ever be worth. If it's a cherished family possession, then only personal wishes and resources would warrant your decision. Just my 2 cents. PJ

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Having said all that, it is your baby and has been for a long time and, it sounds like a realistic project - are you in a local club? I find word of mouth has consistently worked for me - much more than trying to find my own.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
jparrill said:
A few cosmetic tweaks - new top, a paint job, shift boot, ashtray replaced, etc. and I would love wire wheels. I feel like if I'm not doing the work myself, I would be ahead to take it to someone who is dead familiar with the brand.

Seriously, Jim Boffo is second generation in the business, raced in C Sedan SCCA and won national championships. He's been doing the repair, service and restoration of BMC/BLMC/Triumph cars all his life. And he's practically next door to you compared to most others.

It's at least worth a call, maybe even a visit.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your MGB! Lots of great advice so far and I’ll add my own. Look for a club near you and join...become an active member and seek their advice. Contact Boffo Motors and have the engine checked out and put right so you’ll know where you stand both performance and $ wise...if all is sound have the brakes gone over and brought up to spec. Once you have the car running and stopping and all the normal stuff checked out start driving it. Put some miles on the car to make sure you/y’all enjoy the experience and go from there. You can drop a lot of $ into a car and still have something you would rather leave in the garage, so make sure this is really what you want.
Good luck, Rut