• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

No Internet

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Tired of dropped Internet with my little Linksys N router, I sprung for a Netgear Orbi20W mesh system from Best Buy - $199.95. This would be the end of my woes. I dragged my laptop into the den and followed the easy directions, plugging in the ethernet cable and all was well - until I unplugged the cable. No Internet. I synched the router and satellite. No dice. It got so bad I couldn't even use the website - told me my password was no good. And I could not find a telephone number for Netgear. I had the same experience last year with an updated Linksys router. What ever happened to "plug and play"? I haven't got the time or the patience to f&%$ with this stuff, so back went the old router. Another nightmare. Any ideas before I return this stuff?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
There's a reset button on the router to put it back to factory defaults, then you should be able to access the router's management software (what I assume you called the website). The router should pick up an IP address from the satellite router, sync the two with the cable connected. Unplug the CAT-5, look in the WiFi signals and choose the Omni, then using the default SSID and key to connect.

It should be that simple. But I've had a love/hate relationship with more than one of Netgear's products.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Doc - I'm sorry. No capeesh. No comprende. CAT 5? I never got past CAT 1. But good news. "Playing" as Mike suggested for almost 2 hours, I somehow I got it up and running on two computers. Dumb luck? maybe. I was on the verge of calling the Geek Squad after it told me I had no ( or it could not find) my IP address - whatever that is. (Remember IP daily?) It must have found it on its own. I moved the laptop back into my office, gave my wife the password - or what I thought was the password - and she logged on with her I-pad. Good to go. Now we'll see how long it lasts and if it breaks the connection like my little router kept doing. Thanks for the help.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Well, glad to hear ya got it workin'! In this case, the end does justify the means. Perseverance has its rewards. :wink:

tabeeR

Freshman Member
Country flag
Truth to be told, I never had that problem, but I can understand how annoying it can be. I remember when, a friend of mine moved to a new house, he had this sort of problem. I recommended him then, and I can recommend you now a guide on how Wireless Ethernet Bridge works. It worked for him, and I am sure you will find something useful there too. Hope you will solve your problem as soon as possible, because living without internet nowadays is quite a problem. But I am sure that you will deal with it.

Last edited:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I bought a Netgear router quite while back and didn't know it wouldn't work unless I had ATT service , which in my book makes no sense! I've tried every everything to get it going but no dice! So, it's back in the box until I feel like fooling with it again. :rolleyes2:

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
It's still working. Once in a long while, it drops the connection and I futz with unplugging, pressing buttons, etc. and it eventually comes back. They may have even improved it.