• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Greetings, Fellow TR enthusiasts!

MFreeburn

Freshman Member
My name is Mike Freeburn. I live in Durango, Colorado, a town of 18k folks at the junction of the SW desert and the spectacular San Juan mountains. In late June 2018, I purchased an unrestored 1966 TR4A IRS in BRG, no rust, overall very good condition, well loved with many upgrades (needing some new love) from an elderly gentleman in Phoenix. This survivor TR needed new interior carpet and upholstery, which I have completed (Moss leather seat kits turned out very nice - even added the heated option - not wired in yet so no beta on them at this point. I will get them wired in soon for some fall mountain driving). I have put in lots of hours on the car to get it back to drivable reliability. I'm getting close to accomplishing that goal, as I plan to drive this car as much as possible beginning this fall in the years to come.

The car had some nice work done to it over the past 15 years by the previous owner. Engine rebuild: compression measures 135, 140, 145, 145. A 5-speed Celica Supra W-58 tranny, R200 limited slip diff from an Infinity G45, Aluminum radiator with an electric fan with tight-fitting cooling shroud, fully rebuilt front end complete with Spax top-shelf shocks, Alternator, negative ground, dual Weber DGV 32/36 carbs (still working on the tuning for 6,500 - 11,000 feet altitude - consultation from knowledgeable Weber individual welcomed), powerful halogen headlight upgrade (complete with all new wiring) - all nice stuff!

I then took the torch, did the interior (leather seats are nice and comfy - smells good too) carpet kit from Victoria British, replaced the fuel tank and mechanical fuel pump (from the goodie trove), added nice dual Hella horns that are seriously loud (Moss), got all gauges working, brought the Lucas windshield wiper motor back to life after a full disassembly and refurbish, even the windshield sprayer is working! New rubber (windshield base, windshield, doors). Hood emblem (gorgeous globe in blue and red). All lights working (LED brake/running lights = huge improvement in brightness). Fully detailed - I mean seriously polished every speck of anything shiny... I forgot to mention the Panasports and fresh radials. This 4A is a stunning, fun driver! The paint is not great, but a rather cheap respray at some point in the past has resulted in a shiny, good 15-footer finish with plenty of up-close defects that add character and proclaim "survivor!" Definitely pretty.

Future projects: The old guy I bought the car from had plans. With the purchase came a treasure trove of goodies, including: a sweet set of Wilwood front disk callipers (modified to fit the TR4), new brake line and steel braided end bits, new finned drums and kevlar pads for the rear, new master cylinder for both the brakes and clutch, set of Spax rear shocks with heavy duty Aluminum conversion mounts. So I have a winter project or two...

I have learned lots thus far and have much more to learn about this car. I really enjoy working on it and driving this beautiful, classic 4A. My wife is not so sure yet, but I hope to win her over with a fall trip to see the fall colors with the top down. I enjoy meeting and talking with other TR (and other vintage cars and bikes) enthusiasts people and look forward to meeting and rallying with some of you! I like good beer, too. I'd like to post photos here, but don't seem able to, so I'll look elsewhere on the site.

Best regards,

Mike

Last edited:

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello Mike

Welcome to the forum

You will find the Triumph section very active and you will get plenty of help, tips and advice there for anything you want to do on your TR4A

Post some photos.

David

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Welcome, Mike, and great intro!

I'm sure your wife will enjoy the cruising and taking in the scenery the way it should be: top down in a proper British car.

:cheers:
Mickey

OP
M

MFreeburn

Freshman Member
IMG_0450 (1).jpgIMG_0428 (1).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0426 (2).jpg
    IMG_0426 (2).jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0433 (1).jpg
    IMG_0433 (1).jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 23
OP
M

MFreeburn

Freshman Member
Thanks, David. I need help figuring out how to post photos better on this site! I could not for the life of me figure out how to rotate my pics!

OP
M

MFreeburn

Freshman Member
Follow-up on the heated seats. With cool October temperatures here, I finally got them wired in, which was very simple. WOW! They are awesome! With a low and high setting, they heat up quickly and add a whole new dimension to the car. It was not very expensive to add them when I rebuilt the seats and I'm now reaping the benefits.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Thanks, David. I need help figuring out how to post photos better on this site! I could not for the life of me figure out how to rotate my pics!

Looks great! and I presume the VW is yours as well - also nice!

In terms of the pics, would I be correct in assuming that you are using an iphone? google it - this is a common issue - and it is the phone not the site. I open my pic with Windows photo viewer and rotate it a few times - saving it part way and then again. There is probably a quicker way but iit works for me.