• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Front sway bar

RonR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Folks,

Has anyone installed Rimmer Brothers front sway bar kit (RW3082) on a TR3?
I am looking for something to reduce the oversteer.

The kit is not inexpensive.

Thanks.
Ron

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
I installed a similar sway bar on my TR3 by following the set up in Bob Shaller's book "More BS about TR's". Perhaps someone on here can send you the link to the instructions and picture? You have to weld two 1" square X 2' pieces of steel across the bumper brackets. A big improvement in handling.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I installed that kit on my 3A earlier this year, I believe it is made by Bastuck in Germany. Kit is a bolt on addition requiring no modifications to your car, which was the appeal for me. It does work as a sway bar but the downside I see is the bar “sticks out” in front a bit more than an Addco bar so is pretty noticeable. Sorry traveling this week so can’t post a pic.

OP
R

RonR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi Randy.

If you get a chance upon returning home, I would appreciate if you could post a picture.
Thanks.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
If you get a chance take a look at this 3A on bringatrailer:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1960-triumph-tr3a-9/

being sold by by a friend of mine it has the Rimmers sway bar on it. I need to recheck my own installation, the BAT car seems like a better fit but I’m not sure where adjustments can be made.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
FWIW, Richard Goode (Goodparts) can bend a bar to your specs, both size and shape. I forget the price he quoted me (and that was a long time ago anyway), but it seemed reasonable.

(I had ADDCO bars both front and rear on my 3A, and was looking for more roll resistance up front. Never did do it, though, the car got wrecked instead.)

OP
R

RonR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
The bar on the bringatrailor TR3A is very visible. I guess I would expect something more fitting to the cars form for $500.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
The addco bar is pretty visible too. Not sure what Bob Schiller came up with before but I wouldn’t be surprised a custom job would work well or better - the one advantage of the Rimmer bar (perhaps minor) is it needs zero modification to the car, no drilling on the bumper supports.

HAWAIICJ

Country flag
Not a TR3 but a Rimmer ft swaybar on a TR4 with TR4A links and lower arm brackets.

IMG_8032.jpgIMG_8033.jpgIMG_8037.jpg

Edit: The mounting is the Moss ft radiator guard and the clearance from the bar mounts is 4.5" to the floor. It looks low but the bar hasn't touched the ground yet during extensive road testing since the mechanical restoration.

OP
R

RonR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I found the ADDCO TR3 kit (No. 127) for $209 online. Without installed pictuers, I am uncertain if I will be ordering one.