• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Back from Bulgaria

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Back from sunny, hot and humid Bulgaria. Why there? Too long to explain, but it was AMAZING! Wonderful old-world Slavic culture mixed with sometimes amusing Soviet-era architecture and monuments (did anyone see the recent dark-comedy "The Death of Stalin"?). Got to swim in the fairly salty and slightly smelly (of sulfur) Black Sea. Wonderful people, strange Cyrillic (impossible?) writing and a different currency (since although they are in the EU they are not on the Euro). Thankfully, most people spoke at least some English everywhere we went (especially in Sofia). Did a complete loop of the country for 11 days.
We also spent 4 days in Scotland (where our old friends arranged for me to fly in a two-seater Eurostar EV-97 plane, and ride in a combine harvesting barley!!!), and 4 days in Paris. Good to be back home. :smile:

2018-09-05 14.24.25-2.jpg

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Sounds like a good trip.
You should have posted about this before
you left.My Wife has Friends there (Bulgaria).

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Sounds like a good trip.
You should have posted about this before
you left.My Wife has Friends there (Bulgaria).

We've been told this by others too. It's surprising how many people know someone from Bulgaria... though maybe not so surprising because many of their educated young people are leaving the country for better opportunities. The cost-of-living there is CHEAP with U.S. dollars; everywhere we went we were amazed at how far the dollar went.

And speaking of the dollar, they use the "lev" and it is further broken down to the "stinky" (though I don't recall how it's spelled - with 100 stinkys in a lev). Here's a 50 stinky piece (with the 50 written on the other side). What would you do with it? Go into stinky public bathrooms. :wink-new:
2018-09-03 11.04.07-2.jpg

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Mark - welcome home. Always wanted to see that part of the world.

That coin is a stotinka (50 stotinki), with St George and the Dragon. Interesting how St George appears in so many nations' symbols.

Now to the important things: How was the food????

Tom M.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks Tom. I guess the nickname is the "stinky" (and I see the proper name at the bottom of the coin here). The symbol is the national one of Bulgaria.
The food was, generally, excellent (as were many of the wines - visited Bessa Valley winery too). We mostly had fish, but had a huge assortment of other local cuisine.
2018-08-31 12.17.07-2.jpg
2018-08-31 19.45.58.jpg
2018-08-31 19.28.44.jpg

Last edited:

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Sounds like a great trip! It always reenergizes me to go to different places, see different things and meet new people.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Yeah, we like to get out of our comfort zone from time to time... and this country certainly lived up to that.
The Rila Monastery was stunning. The first shot is just a photo I took of a post-card, the other two are mine. There are now only 10 monks there and a good deal of place (high in the mountains SW of Sofia) is a museum with a very small series of room for rent (where we stayed).
2018-08-28 17.22.03.jpg
2018-08-28 17.31.57.jpg
2018-08-28 17.17.11.jpg

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Mark, it sounds like a great trip. I'd really like to visit Eastern Europe someday.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Mark, I catch Rick Steves show on NPR sometimes. I imagine that his tours would be rather good.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Mark, I catch Rick Steves show on NPR sometimes. I imagine that his tours would be rather good.

We love using him as he's very educational (with access to things that you'd not be able to do yourself - from cooking classes, to visiting schools or private homes, and special educational guides - a superb cultural experience). It's a bit more expensive than doing your own thing, but, again, we've found the tours are superbly done (and are smallish - such that if a full-size bus is used, there are two seats available person). His guides are excellent. We've done 12 of his tours, and we add on our own independent thing before and/or after a tour (given the expense of getting to Europe).

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Sounds like an interesting trip, Mark. Personally, I have no desire to set foot outside CONUS ever again.

Mitsy can sorta-kinda read Cyrillic. Her dad and his brother were Ukranian "escapees" from the war, they got church newspapers printed in it. I can recognize "PRAVDA" and that's about it.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Sounds like an interesting trip, Mark. Personally, I have no desire to set foot outside CONUS ever again.
Mitsy can sorta-kinda read Cyrillic. Her dad and his brother were Ukranian "escapees" from the war, they got church newspapers printed in it. I can recognize "PRAVDA" and that's about it.

I guess Helen and I have a bit of wander-lust. She wants to go to Africa (and do the safari thing), which I have little interest in doing. I'm keen on Machu Picchu and the Galapagos (in 2020 I think). We aren't cruising people but will be doing the Panama Canal this January.
Can't take it with us. :rolleye:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I took a cruise this summer to Cozumel and the Yucatan. I didn't have much in the way of expectations, I only went to see Uxmal, but I really enjoyed the experience.

Doc, I have always wanted to travel but at the same time there is so much to see in the CONUS that traveling to Europe seems superfluous, but I still would like to see some things around the world. I just won't feel too bad if I never get out there.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
We're not cruising people (eating, gambling and cheesy Vegas-style shows), but I see a use for them as a floating hotel to get to go to interesting places. We really enjoyed our Alaska one that included a land portion to Denali (and Fairbanks). We've only been on a few, and about the only thing I would avoid is the ones filled with families (and kids). :cool:

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I only went to see Uxmal,
Brings memories back. Drove there in 1970 in a rented rusty Rambler and stayed at the beautiful hotel built in the 50's for archaeologists and tourists.

I'm looking at the photo's above and thinking trouble. My navigator can't read a road map (less frustrating now that I know to never ever listen to her directions) and can get close but doesn't really remember what towns we've been in or where they were. I guess we could always backtrack though since she can place herself in every single restaurant and remember every single thing that she has ordered since the beginning of time.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
It's amazing, though, what Google Maps has done to change navigation. We used our phone for GPS in northern Italy last year (the Lake District) and it worked like a charm. Of course, it helped that we bought an Italian SIM card (30 Euros for 30 days and 30 gigs of data! - great deal).

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
<snip>My navigator can't read a road map (less frustrating now that I know to never ever listen to her directions) <snip>

Somehow the terms "navigator" and "can't read a road map" don't quite fit ...

;)