• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Sealed-beam headlights

RonR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Folks,

I had a sealed-beam, Lucas 6716, headlight burnout.
I want to keep that somewhat original look, but I can’t find these headlights anywhere.

What are other people dong for headlights?

Thanks,
Ron

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
For my TR3 I bought Sylvania halogen sealed beams at Walmart. They are at least twice as bright as the original type. Much better for night driving.
Bob

Country flag
I think what Ron is looking for is a sealed beam with Lucas logo in the glass. I have a few of them left but not willing to let them go. All my restored cars have them.

Marv

Lou Metelko

Jedi Trainee
I also have a pair of 6716 in my TR2 (Marv says they have the Lucas name on the glass which I can verify).
Unfortunately one has the low beam burnt out so Ron if you find any please let me know. My 2 rarely if ever goes out after dark and didn't Joe Lucas once say that a gentleman doesn't motor about after dark.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I don't know the number but these Lucas lamps are what I use and try to keep on hand:

aI-nCNCLcLWpLsJUtYLNK6eRNsEK2lPD8rqMgH5KewSIwtjhD9rPKw356k_715kp0DG5IEuAMX9WkKxKh_HxuLlHlpT1S-Fd6DZbdiUhP_Bl=s0-d-e1-ft

Picked up that pair on eBay recently. I seldom drive at night though I do use them for daylight driving in the wide-open desert. In my opinion the old (yellowish) incandescent actually show up better in daylight than more modern brighter whiter lamps (e.g. LEDS).

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
For whatever it's worth to anyone, there essentially was no such thing as a Lucas sealed beam headlamp for the US market until maybe around 1964. For the most part, Triumphs built for the US market were shipped without any headlamp units, which were then installed stateside, probably either by the regional distributor or the selling dealer. So a true "original" headlamp in an earlier US-spec. Triumph really should be a period Sylvania, Guide, Tung-Sol or GE unit!

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I took out old GE's to put in the Sylvania halogens. I'm not sure they are "original", but they sure were dim compared to the halogens. ;)
Bob

Lou Metelko

Jedi Trainee
Thanks Andy for reminding me of the heritage of the Lucas sealed beams (6716) that are in my TR2. In the early 2000s the curator for the local Auburn - Cord - Duesenberg Museum called to ask if if I would be interested in a pair of Lucas headlights that I could pirate off a 1963 Jaguar XK-E if I would only supply a pair of standard 6014 bulbs in trade. The Jaguar was donated to the museum for resale. I remember being at his office in like ten minutes!

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana

groupdeville

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Or perhaps you might want to install a set of more modern Lucas (or other British) non-sealed beam H4 halogen lamps that will give you a lot of light and allow you to carry a spare bulb in the glovebox? The H4s are widely available with wattages that won't challenge a TR's charging system, and there are many British and Euro lamp brands from which to choose. The H4 halogen lamps plug into place just as easily as a sealed beam lamp, and the original Lucas lamps can be safely retained at home and re-installed before a show.

Would recommend staying away from replica "tripod" lamps, though, as the early ones were awful. No experience with newer ones.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Newer repro PL700 "tripod" lamps seem a good bit better than they were when first reproduced, if the ones I bought a couple year ago are any indication! Meanwhile, H4 bulbs are readily available in any Walmart automotive section as well as just about any other chain auto parts store, etc.!