• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

77 MG Midget owner in Seattle, WA

McBruce

Freshman Member
Hi all,
I just recently acquired 77 MG Midget to drive and restore. I've been around MG's for most of my life, my Dad having several over the years. Now that my kids are all off to college I'll have plenty of spare time to put it back in good running order. I have some plans to take off the bumpers and eventually rebuild the engine and add dual SU's and bump it up to 100 HP.
Regards,
Bruce

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
welcome - and come on over to the Spridget section! I have a '76 and did pretty much all you have planned, a little harder to convert but not impossible. Glad to have you aboard!

OP
M

McBruce

Freshman Member
I've got the electrical pretty much done, working on the suspension, cooling, and motor mounts next. Once I get that done I'll work on cosmetics. I've been studying up, but the body work is going to be the hard part for me.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I've got the electrical pretty much done, working on the suspension, cooling, and motor mounts next. Once I get that done I'll work on cosmetics. I've been studying up, but the body work is going to be the hard part for me.

It does take some body work for sure - I actually replaced the panels completely - (my car had been in an accident making the decision easier) but it may actually be a more economic option than outright body work.

In terms of the suspension, the 1500 springs are longer than 1275 springs - they are a straight swap. That said, I swapped them and had my rear springs slightly de-arched before I tried the car only to find that they were probably OK as they were simply because of settling over the years.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Welcome to the BCF Borg (you have been assimilated)! You will find plenty of help and camaraderie here!