• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ7 Carpet Install Questions

PeterB

Country flag
I am installing my carpet set in my BJ7 I got from Heritage. I bought the Moss video that says for BJ7 and BJ8. Unfortunately most of it I think is for BJ8. I have 2 question so far. 1 is how does the carpet lay behind the seat in the corner where the heel board and and shut pillar meet. Where that little “ramp” section is. It almost seems if a relief cut needs to be made so carpet will lay flat on the floor but then floor will show???? Also what gets put in 1st for best fit, the floor pieces or the transmission tunnel piece. Thx any and all help, especially pictures are much appreciated.

Attachments

• EE29BDF7-CAC7-4EC1-97F7-335DC1D25291.jpg
    EE29BDF7-CAC7-4EC1-97F7-335DC1D25291.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 164

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Floor pieces must go in before transmission tunnel.-

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I put in my Carpet from Heritage when I did my Frame up restoration.
Invest in a good pair of sissors, about $40 to $50 range. #2 Xacto knife and a pack of blades. Tailor marking chalk.
A good brush on contact cement with throw away brushes, 1” & 2” sizes.

Your carpet will be larger and you’ll have to trim it. Take your time, measure three times before cutting.

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Not sure how the floor pieces must go in before the transmission tunnel. The floor carpets are removable so can go in and out at any time. Plus the floor carpet edge sits on top of the transmission tunnel edge.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Not sure how the floor pieces must go in before the transmission tunnel. The floor carpets are removable so can go in and out at any time. Plus the floor carpet edge sits on top of the transmission tunnel edge.

I think you and me both not sure---LOL

OP
P

PeterB

Country flag
Thank you all for you help with the transmission tunnel carpeting. I did buy myself a nice pair of scissors and #2 Xacto knife and a pack of blades, make life much easier. Now I just have to figure out how to place the carpet under the seat against the heel board in the corner by the shut pillar.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Thank you all for you help with the transmission tunnel carpeting. I did buy myself a nice pair of scissors and #2 Xacto knife and a pack of blades, make life much easier. Now I just have to figure out how to place the carpet under the seat against the heel board in the corner by the shut pillar.
You still need the Tailors Chalk.

Do these photos of an original carpet install help? These photos are from Carroll Phillips of Top Down Restorations in NY. I have other photos of mine in more detail.

Attachments

• Trans area trial fit_2.jpg
    Trans area trial fit_2.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 176
  • TRans Carpet - Original Trim-2.jpg
    TRans Carpet - Original Trim-2.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 178
OP
P

PeterB

Country flag
Patrick, thanks for the help. Unfortunately the area I am trying to figure out isn't in the pictures. I am trying to see how the carpet comes together behind the seats toward the heel board on a BJ7 near where the shut pillar is. Thx again, Pete

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Patrick, thanks for the help. Unfortunately the area I am trying to figure out isn't in the pictures. I am trying to see how the carpet comes together behind the seats toward the heel board on a BJ7 near where the shut pillar is. Thx again, Pete
Okay, you’re wanting the area behind the front seats to the bulkhead located at the front of the rear seats?

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Correct, I can’t seem to figure how the carpet lays and I am nervous to cut anything. Thx
Here's some the original BJ8 carpet photos and photos of my BJ8. The Radius Arm boxes do not apply to your Healey.

Just remember to error on excess material when trimming because you can always trim more off if needed.. Save all your cut off pieces! Carpet goes under the rear quarter panels.

I fitted and chalked and retested and retested before I cut. Always good to have you rear quarter panels handy for trial fitting!

Take your time.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 179
  • 0211 (4).jpg
    0211 (4).jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 172
  • Trans Carpet - Original Trim.jpg
    Trans Carpet - Original Trim.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC02539.JPG
    DSC02539.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 159
  • DSC02538.JPG
    DSC02538.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 164

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
No, I am putting Dynamat Extreme down and then the padding that Heritage supplies with their Wilton Wool.
Heritage supplied me with thick jute padding. You received something different than that? Also, are you going to use the original snaps to hold the trans and floor carpets in place?

OP
P

PeterB

Country flag
I don't believe mine is jute, it doesn't have that web backing and its not that thick. The only pieces that came with the kit go in the toe box area and under the floor. My original snaps were gone when the fiberglass on the transmission tunnel got redone only the holes remain so I have to use the ones that come with the kit.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I don't believe mine is jute, it doesn't have that web backing and its not that thick. The only pieces that came with the kit go in the toe box area and under the floor. My original snaps were gone when the fiberglass on the transmission tunnel got redone only the holes remain so I have to use the ones that come with the kit.
Can you post photos of it?