• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

LED Headlamps

bluegrass john

Country flag
Directly under the picture of this product in Moss publication, in the description there is a statement that clearly says
THIS KIT WILL NOT FIT SEALED BEAM HEADLIGHTS !!

Hope this helps,

John

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi All,

A number of years ago I fitted an alternator and installed (3) relays to handle the maximum power needed for the brightest headlights and driving light while offloading this power draw from my original wiring harness/switches and allowing them to be used only for relay control. This has greatly diminished the value of LED headlight. Add the expense of an LED conversion to the fact that I now drive quite a bit less at night and conversion is a non-consideration … for me.

However, the one place where an LED installation did make sense was when I illuminated the rear reflectors with brake and directional signals. Keep in mind that an incandescent is hot at the globe end but an LED disperses its heat at the socket end. Based upon this fact, having the plastic reflector lens close to the globe of an incandescent will melting the reflector plastic lens while an LED will not. Also, no bias resistors are necessary as they are tied to the original brake/directional bulbs/wiring of the original incandescent tail lights.

Sorry if extending this discussion further then the topic but I personally never understood why converting to LEDs is so popular. As I see it, my original incandescent bulbs have lasted decades so LED longevity provides little additional value to make up for the acquisition and installation costs. Additionally, incandescents reflect classic lighting consistent with the age of our cars where LEDs signal a modern reproduction (an almost Healey). So why the big demand for LEDs?

This is my perspective and although I will do almost all to make my Healey safe and operational secure and enjoyable to drive (i.e. Electronic ignition, sound system, etc.), I strive to maintain a traditional look with every modification both fully reversible and appearing to belong.

Ray(64BJ8P1)

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
IMO these headlights look out of place on a Healey. They're on the strange side. Where they really shine is on a 6 volt car, such as an old Porsche or VW.

Addendum: I was thinking of the "Crystal Clear Headlamps" on p. A21 of the latest catalog. Those are the weird-looking ones. Having said that, my neighbor has the LEDs on his 6V 1957 speedster and they made a real improvement in brightness.

Last edited:

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I think:

If you had a led headlamp replacement for the Healey You would need a Loan to pay for it.

jman15

Freshman Member
Country flag
Interesting discussion. About two years ago was desperate to give the missus a suggestion for a birthday gift for myself and suggested she get me a set of the halogen headlights from Moss. Since she got me the headlights I've never installed them (she doesn't know this - yet). The reason was I still use the generator in my Healey and didn't want to stress it to power the higher wattage lights. Since the car is also positive ground LED's were not an option at the time. Now that Moss has supposedly polarity neutral LED's have been thinking about getting them as the wattage they require is so much less than the halogen's. Since I already have the light fixtures it would be a relatively simple install for me. Unless the lights are on you probably couldn't tell they are LED's.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Interesting discussion. About two years ago was desperate to give the missus a suggestion for a birthday gift for myself and suggested she get me a set of the halogen headlights from Moss. Since she got me the headlights I've never installed them (she doesn't know this - yet). The reason was I still use the generator in my Healey and didn't want to stress it to power the higher wattage lights. Since the car is also positive ground LED's were not an option at the time. Now that Moss has supposedly polarity neutral LED's have been thinking about getting them as the wattage they require is so much less than the halogen's. Since I already have the light fixtures it would be a relatively simple install for me. Unless the lights are on you probably couldn't tell they are LED's.

Yes in your case you could just install led Lamp bulbs.

Perhaps that is a more economical way to do it.?

OP
Bob_Spidell
Country flag
Directly under the picture of this product in Moss publication, in the description there is a statement that clearly says
THIS KIT WILL NOT FIT SEALED BEAM HEADLIGHTS !!

Hope this helps,

John

Guess I didn't phrase my inquiry well: directly to the right of the picture of this product in Moss publication, there is a drop-down option box labeled 'CHOOSE AN OPTION' with a 'WITH HEADLAMPS' option implying, to me, at least, that if one were to purchase said headlamps option they would work (the plugs look the same as the OEM ones, but I haven't pulled a headlamp in a while).

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Guess I didn't phrase my inquiry well: directly to the right of the picture of this product in Moss publication, there is a drop-down option box labeled 'CHOOSE AN OPTION' with a 'WITH HEADLAMPS' option implying, to me, at least, that if one were to purchase said headlamps option they would work (the plugs look the same as the OEM ones, but I haven't pulled a headlamp in a while).

Well BOB :
Seems like for $250.00 you can convert a Healey with this kit using the- OPTION-WITH HEADLIGHTS- to led fixtures.

Last edited:

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Some years ago I have mounted the LED (coold light)on my AH -they are very helpful in the night driving and easy to fit IF you have the H4 lamps on the car
Price of MOSS are too expensive- you can find on e bay at very lower price - I have acquired it at the first time when it appeared on the market
(don't remember BUT it probably arrived fro China) at USD 60 for a pair - but probably now the price are lowered
The better advantage are the lower Amper absorption ONE Amper /each (Halogen lamp 10 A/each)
IMPORTANT NOTE : before to buy you must ask if LED are positive or negative sensitive (as your car) probably they aren't sensitive as mine
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dSt2WBAzovMczhcNA
on the end of this Google album you can find a lot of photos
https://photos.app.goo.gl/BK81CyZMY9KmtLQo9

OP
Bob_Spidell
Country flag
The thot plickens: https://www.ahspares.co.uk/austin-h...ng/LED-BULB-Upgrade-Kit-POSITIVE-EARTH-1.aspx

So, there's a rash of LED products coming on the market--this one looks comprehensive, and they have them for neg. ground and Sprites--so, presumably, there's a demand.

Disclaimer: I need another automotive project like I need another tax bill, and I don't drive my Healeys much, if at all, at night but the LED bulbs I put in my BJ8's brake lights are far superior to the old stuff (although people still seem to think my brake lights don't work because I engine brake as much as possible and don't dive bomb stoplights like most people do). But, since when does common sense prevail among people who can typically afford modern mobility pods but insist on driving ancient British hardware?

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
And the other reason they dont see the brake lights is either they are driving a jacked up truck that you need a ladder to get into or a huge SUV or maybe just maybe ........they are on the phone or playing with their GPS that they dont know how to program .:peaceful:

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Now if they made LED (or xenon) conversions for Lucas 700 SLR driving lights, they would really brighten up the road ahead.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi All,

Boy, do I appreciate Healey Nut's perspective.

I live in a area that is reasonably congested with traffic seemingly dominated with large SUVs and commercial vehicles. Not far from NYC/NJ's industrial area and Jersey Shore, unless required, I stay away from major roads in the area when driving my Healey. Since, as Healey Nut's comments reflect, many drivers seem to miss the large rear signal lights of modern vehicles so what chance does the small low set tail/signal lights of our Healeys have of being noticed.

Although I have installed LEDs behind my reflectors to help illuminate my actions or intentions by mirroring the Directional and Brake signals of my small lower tail lights, I am still left with uncertainty as to whether the driver behind will notice. Although I had no interest in the installation of a 3rd directional/brake light, I am at the point of considering an installation of and will be looking for something that either can be installed as if it belonged as an original part and/or installed as part of my Amco boot lid luggage rack.

Yes, I do not need another project but I have begun to believe this is a matter of survival and no longer an optional issue.

All the best to all,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

Last edited:

pkmh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Ray,

When I was following you from behind to that car show down the shore months ago, even though your right signal was working for sure, it really didn't stand out that well, as I remembered. Compared to newer cars of today, yes, their signals are larger and brighter, but people still don't see the way they are suppose to, as Healey Nut noted.

Even though I drive a PH II having the factory brake light setup, I drive carefully and humble. All I can do is stay clear away of tailgaters and I will pull over to let them pass. Bothers me to have to do that but I do it. I live in a more congestive neighborhood than you (1 mile from Manhattan). You can't imagine how many flatbeds I see everyday with redesigned front/rear ended cars on them.