• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A 67 TR4a irs to live axle

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Back in my ill spent youth I had a 67 TR4a non irs car that I enjoyed as much as any car I’ve ever owned. I currently have 4 irs cars including Jim’s Desert TR and would like to convert one of them (not Desert TR) to a live axle. How big of a pita would this be and what parts would I need, stock or otherwise? I may even do this to the car I plan on ‘resto moding’. I also have a couple of extra restored frames, a TR4a and a 6 with additional strengthening brackets. Thoughts?
Thanks, Rut

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
It seems like all you have to do is whack off the differential mount and install the live axle bits... "seems" is a big word, I realize.

Looking at the photos of the two configurations: https://stevemckelvie.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/scan0263.jpg and https://stevemckelvie.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/scan0259.jpg, it looks like the spring mounting uses the same holes in the frame.

Perhaps the workshop manual has more detailed information, where the frame measurements are tabled, on the differences.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Mike,
Thanks for the info and once I get moved I’ll study this more closely. My manual and parts are all packed up. I wonder if it would be easier to use a TR4 frame and rear suspension?
Thanks, Rut

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
I don't think the TR4 frame will fit that 4A? In any case it would require modification, as both of the 4A frames (IRS, solid axle) have the narrow "t-shirt" section.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
I don't think the TR4 frame will fit that 4A? In any case it would require modification, as both of the 4A frames (IRS, solid axle) have the narrow "t-shirt" section.

PeterK

Yoda
have a solid 4A and have been building a period correct fast road for years, many more to go! Bodywork is minor but takes me a major time. Wow, was it really nearly 14 years ago? dcp_0618.jpg

cjimj

Country flag
I went the other direction to replace the rotting frame on my 4A IRS. As I recall, you'll need an axle, springs, spring blocks, u-bolts, front spring brackets, rear spring brackets, brakes, brake lines, and shock links.

Jim

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Rut,
TR4 frame and 4a frame not the same. I looked at doing a live axle TR6. I think all you need diff and springs.
Marv
Marv,
Thanks for the info and next question, do you have the parts I need? We got the CO on our house yesterday including the shop, so the march of the LBCs will begin today. Picture of shop and the boss checking things out.
Rut

Attachments

• E2EB0065-7A25-4923-A02E-7551EAD4E822.jpg
    E2EB0065-7A25-4923-A02E-7551EAD4E822.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 122
  • A68EF8F6-3E1B-45BB-9FD0-B40F6503CAF3.jpg
    A68EF8F6-3E1B-45BB-9FD0-B40F6503CAF3.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 122

Alfred E. Neuman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Just thinking out loud here, but I think you could get live axle reliability and handling with upgrading your IRS. Revington suspension kit with uprated springs, HD shocks, and sway bar, plus their trailing arm brackets that let you adjust both camber and toe via eccentrics.
Get some upgraded axle shafts and hubs from Richard Good and you'd have a car that wouldn't have the TR IRS squat in the back and be super planted in the curves while eliminating nearly all of the drawbacks of the TA geometry.

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Just thinking out loud here, but I think you could get live axle reliability and handling with upgrading your IRS. Revington suspension kit with uprated springs, HD shocks, and sway bar, plus their trailing arm brackets that let you adjust both camber and toe via eccentrics.
Get some upgraded axle shafts and hubs from Richard Good and you'd have a car that wouldn't have the TR IRS squat in the back and be super planted in the curves while eliminating nearly all of the drawbacks of the TA geometry.

Ive given this some thought along with the coil over conversion and while it’s very nice, it’s really expensive. That said, this car might possibly end up being a resto mod with a Ford rear end to handle M3 or Toyota/Lexus power. The easiest route sounds like swapping in live axle components from a 4a, both from labor and wallet.
Thanks, Rut

Country flag
Rut,
think I have some of the parts. I had a wreaked live axle, Dad used some of the parts years ago. Have to check, would be after I get back from CSB.
Marv

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Marv,
Thanks, have fun and I’ll check back in a month.
Rut

malbaby

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Rut...Is it you or "the boss" that has such great taste in house design. Here in Australia, most houses are very plain in comparison.
Are those ceiling beams in the main living room structural?
Like to see pics of the kitchen.

Foura

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Nice to have an open fire in the garage. :eagerness:

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Mal,
It’s mostly the boss who decides, but the coffered ceiling is my idea. My grandmothers house had a very similar ceiling and I loved it growing up. I get to do the nuts and bolts, Jo gets to decide what it should look like and I really like her taste. Our nephew is a builder and our son is a home remodler and after we broke ground last October they decided to build the business together. We found out in December and sold our son our house about 6 weeks ago and they moved to town. It has been the easiest process and not the nightmare you sometimes hear about. We are blessed beyond words and to have our son and his family close by is icing on the cake! I’ll take some pictures of the kitchen and post them later...Jos a good cook and she designed it.
Rut

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Well, I’m completely off topic now and I’ve attached a couple of kitchen pictures, but I forgot to take pictures of the LBCs in their new home! I imagine the next week of moving will be pretty hectic since everything is so scattered.
Rut

Attachments

• 95932C57-98FD-46B4-97ED-0C2AE741F717.jpg
    95932C57-98FD-46B4-97ED-0C2AE741F717.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 2454E1B0-7A2A-449C-8349-410D5FAE77DF.jpg
    2454E1B0-7A2A-449C-8349-410D5FAE77DF.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 114
OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Mal,
Shes very proud of it and I’m very happy it turned out the way she wanted. Thanks for the compliment!
Rut