• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tying cans to the bumper???

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Long story short, my car is being used as the get-away car at my daughter's wedding. She wants me to decorate it before the send off and gave me a "kit" containing all the tie-ons and stick-ons. Amongst these were some cute little cans with ribbons to tie on the bumper. My reaction is no way. Those can catch on something in the street, snap back, and hit the car causing paint chips, scratches, dents, etc. But I figured some of you may have first had experience in this area, so please let me know if I'm being to cautious. One thought was to just attach the cans with a small piece of tape. If they hit something they will fall off. With my luck, they would hit someone in the head and I'd get sued for placing the safety of my car over the safety of pedestrians.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Have “get away” down at the Commons... just drive on the grass.
P.S. The citation is cheaper than repairing the car :greedy_dollars:

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Use long string its a British tradition to tie cans to the bumper of the car as it leaves the church etc after the wedding .
They just bounce around and make noise , no worries have fun with it .Its your daughter after all .

mgtf328

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Paying for paint repairs is a lot cheaper than paying penance for the next *** years.

Just do it.
AJ
PS. Drive slow! She ain't gona want to tear off in a hurry anyway. You can take them off when you get round the first bend.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Bill and Congratulations to you and your family on your Daughter's coming nuptials.

As I see it, use long string or even strips of cloth or thick ribbon as I would expect the cloth to be a more elegant look and cause the cans to be tangled if ever springing back to hit the car. Last, preview the road and identify issues they should be aware of to avoid.

Be proud that she loves you wants to show you off through your Healey handy work on such an important day, Enjoy the Festivities.
All the best to all,

Ray(6BJ8P1)

dklawson

Yoda
I agree with those who suggested long string... or ribbon.

Be glad your daughter informed you and involved you and did not leave this up to her friends. The "kit" can be what you are comfortable with.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
It's only a car and a paint chip can be repaired (although I think the possibility of any damage is negligible). The memories you'll have from seeing the pictures in years going forward are priceless.
15168739_207206216355223_4997352773528418944_o.jpg

D

Deleted member 8987

Tip:

I did the getaway in my Jag for daughter's wedding. There is no way to tie around the bumper.

Found a piece of 2X4 that fit inside and across the floor of the boot. Tied the twine to that, cans far enough out to not create an issue, slammed the boot lid...and remember to NOT try to back up. When done, opened boot, put all cans and twine inside, slammed lid, and went home.

OP
L

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Well I tied on a bunch of balloons to the bumper, two signs, one hung from the top cover and one on the boot lid and two cans tied to the bumper. At the end of the ride, the cans were gone, the balloons popped and one of the signs was inside the car. Everyone was all smiles. It was a great day. By the way, no groom involved. Two brides.