• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

matching 1275 to bugeye rad ??

Tomchillvet

Freshman Member
Country flag
the water outlet on top of 1275 goes in opposite direction of where bugeye rad inlet goes- is there an outlet that will go rt instead of left or is that a figment of my imagination or is there another trick thanks

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Because the thermostat studs are oriented slightly different on a 1275 head from all the others, using one from an early head doesn't work out all that well as the angle is still wrong for standard hoses. This is due to the emissions air pump used from early on in the 1275 installations. You need to find the one that was used on non-emission cars sold in the UK. It will be aluminum, not cast iron. If I'm not mistaken, the one for the MGB might be the same as the one you need. I would check Moss UK.

the water outlet on top of 1275 goes in opposite direction of where bugeye rad inlet goes- is there an outlet that will go rt instead of left or is that a figment of my imagination or is there another trick thanks

Joe Schlosser

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Gerard
So that is what the big Boss is for on a 1275 thermostat housing cover. Seriously I always wondered what that was for. I only started playing with 1275 motors on race engines so I had no idea what the boss is for
AH Spares does not show this boss on their part
Tom
Unfortunately, the one 948 thermostat cover I have in my parts bin is the old flat top type fo which I understand you cannot get a modern thermostat to fit. Moss has an article on it on line.
Moss, lists part number 460-485 for use with a 1275 and a vertical radiator. While not Moss this is what I am using on my BE with 1275 and orig vertical radiator
AH Spares has the same part listed for a 1098 and a 1275 with a vertical flow rad.
Did you find a shifter lever?

OP
T

Tomchillvet

Freshman Member
Country flag
the number for moss 460-485 comes up as a collet- and you believe part number XCHT123 with ah spares would work on the 1275 using BE rad - i did find a shifter and ribcase trans with a ribcase for parts for 100 bucks- 6 hrs from where i live - lucked out there- so now i have 3 ribcases and one shifter lol---thanks for the reply Joe

OP
T

Tomchillvet

Freshman Member
Country flag
i wonder if mgb would be same---maybe someone on here would know-- or if i found one to measure stud distances---cheers gerard

gfholl

Country flag
20180826_151527.jpg
I'm using the Moss 948 outlet #460-890 and just a aftermarket hose and thermostat. The angle is a bit off, but it works for me, plus I like how it looks.
Gary

Joe Schlosser

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
The Moss US# is 460-855. They say that it is for a 1275 with a downflow radiator. I am pretty sure this what I am using on my 1275 although it came from a parts car most likely a 1098.
The AH Spares is probably the same part. The part that Gary is using is more in keeping with the BE look.
Sorry, I do not have a spare outlet (two 1275 for a cross flow though)
Glad you solved your shifter issue. I do have a couple sitting around.

OP
T

Tomchillvet

Freshman Member
Country flag
The Moss US# is 460-855. They say that it is for a 1275 with a downflow radiator. I am pretty sure this what I am using on my 1275 although it came from a parts car most likely a 1098.
The AH Spares is probably the same part. The part that Gary is using is more in keeping with the BE look.
Sorry, I do not have a spare outlet (two 1275 for a cross flow though)
Glad you solved your shifter issue. I do have a couple sitting around.

Thanks for your reply---- i see in vb catalog it shows 3 pieces at bottom of shifter but can only get 2. is the 3rd part hard to get. it shows ring and spring but what is the other part because i don't have any of these parts--thanks

gfholl

Country flag
The MOSS 948 outlet is designed to take a aftermarket thermostat. The stock ones are what you read about.

Joe Schlosser

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Tom
Have a look at the Moss Catalog. It sounds like you are looking for the bits that they call an Anti rattle kit. All the bits under the shift lever.
Surprised that VB does not have the equivalent