• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Front Oil Seal

DaveC

Freshman Member
Country flag
Advice please.

I'm at the end of a rebuild of my engine and everything has gone well, except for the front oil seal. To cut a long story short, I can't get a new seal (Moss 520-000) into the timing cover. I've tried heating the cover, and have got a perfectly sized ring to help drift the seal in. However, it just won't go in without distorting. This is the second seal (the first went in eventually but must have been distorted).

So, is there a trick I'm missing, or is there a different supplier that offers a seal that is a better fit?

thanks
dave

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Are you absolutely certain that all of the old seal is out of the cover? A lot of times, they have an outer metal ring that looks like it is part of the cover, but isn't (and tends to stay behind in the cover). I believe the pocket should be about 2.5" (same as the outside diameter of the seal).

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Unlike most cars, it inserts from the inside...so perspectivly it goes in backwards from the way most seals install. Are you certain you are not installing it backwards?

OP
D

DaveC

Freshman Member
Country flag
Absolutely sure. I have the timing cover off, the old seal is out in one piece, and I'm installing it the correct way around, ie with the spring and lips facing inwards.

dave

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Any burrs or suspicious potentially out of round areas? It is a tight fit but with a proper sized drift (I use a large socket) I’ve been able to always seat them. Not a great idea but you might try a different vendor to see if a different seal can work.

malbaby

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You could take your old seal to your local "bearing" type shop where they can measure your old one accurately and supply new.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Alas...another example of the shoddy vender parts we are forced to deal with! Order one from TRF.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Second the call to TRF, they specialize in tr3; the owner drives one and as a result often the parts are more original.

OP
D

DaveC

Freshman Member
Country flag
Well I got another seal from a different supplier. This was more of a rubber housing and it slid into the timing cover with just the right amount of effort. I had called Moss and they said they'd never heard oimf a problem but the measurements are so far out there is something amiss.

Anyway I hope this seal does the trick. I got it from Victoria British, ordered before the TRF recommendations. Fingers crossed

Dave

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I could have paid for my restoration if I had a dollar for every time I was told I was the “first to have a problem with that part”! There is a chronic problem with shoddy repro parts for our cars.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I could have paid for my restoration if I had a dollar for every time I was told I was the “first to have a problem with that part”! There is a chronic problem with shoddy repro parts for our cars.
I'm still mad over the time a vendor told me that; when I knew that _I_ had not only complained, but returned the part in question, not once but twice!

I had actually gone there the third time with the intention of showing them what the problem was (their catalog was simply wrong about what cars the part in question would fit), but they weren't interested in what I had to say, or the parts I brought for "show and tell".

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I have no doubt the reps are trained to respond that way...infuriating when you know they are not telling the truth!