• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Invasion of the Hummers!

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I have never - NEVER seen this many Humming birds! I am not exaggerating when I say there must have been 50-60, maybe more, humming birds flying around our back yard this morning. I went out on the deck and took a bunch of photos of just a few of them this morning (video with more pics to be posted shortly)

Hummers 20 Aug 2018-4 copy.jpg

Hummers 20 Aug 2018-8.jpg

Hummers 20 Aug 2018-9 copy.jpg

Hummers 20 Aug 2018-13 copy.jpg

Hummers 20 Aug 2018-19 copy.jpg

Hummers 20 Aug 2018-14 copy.jpg

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Cool pics. My wife got a humming bird feeder but I have yet to hang it. Your pics just motivated me to get it done.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Cool pics. My wife got a humming bird feeder but I have yet to hang it. Your pics just motivated me to get it done.

We have 5 feeders and we don't use store-bought food - we make our own, which they seem to like better.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
We have 5 feeders and we don't use store-bought food - we make our own, which they seem to like better.

What is your recipe for the food?

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
What is your recipe for the food?

I cup sugar, 4 cups water. Boil for a few minutes, then let cool. Optionally you can add a few drops of food coloring to make it look pretty. We store it in old plastic coke bottles till ready to use.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks bas.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
I took a bunch of pictures of our humming birds this morning (a few pics are from an earlier shoot) and made a video.

Before you play the video click the little gear at the bottom-right of the YouTube video window and select 1080p for quality if it’s not already selected. Then click the little β€œFull-screen” icon at the bottom right of the video window. Also make sure sound is on

https://youtu.be/7H0jQxYu2qg < Click me

Enjoy.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
We have 'em here as well. But they are more territorial than the ones you pictured; mean little devils won't let another one near the feeder without chasing them off, sometimes flying right into them and you can hear them crash into each other!

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
We have 'em here as well. But they are more territorial than the ones you pictured; mean little devils won't let another one near the feeder without chasing them off, sometimes flying right into them and you can hear them crash into each other!

The Rufus in the first picture is the biggest bully of the group! He thinks he owns all five feeders!

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
We use the same recipe but never add red colouring as I have heard that it can harm them. The lack of red colour does not seem to slow them down. This year we have not had the numbers that er had a few years ago.
Great fun to watch.

David

I cup sugar, 4 cups water. Boil for a few minutes, then let cool. Optionally you can add a few drops of food coloring to make it look pretty. We store it in old plastic coke bottles till ready to use.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Great photos!

GeezerJarhead

Freshman Member
We have the same phenonenom here in east Texas..tons of hummers. They seem to have appeared in the last few days. The old cruddy feeder seems do be the favorite.

Last edited:
OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
We have the same phenonenom here in east Texas..tons of hummers

Have they been unusually high numbers this year where you are? We have them every year, but this year seems to be more intense. (Wonder if the filers in the west / CA have anything to do with it).

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
They're a bit fewer here this year, and they showed up a bit later than usual. Not sure why on either account. Guess you got 'em all...

GeezerJarhead

Freshman Member
Those are marvelous photos...you are good. I did not expect to obtain all this entertainment when I joined the forum!! To hot to work on the TR3 in the barn today.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Those are marvelous photos...you are good. I did not expect to obtain all this entertainment when I joined the forum!! To hot to work on the TR3 in the barn today.

Thank you sir! Photography is a fun hobby (like I needed another hobby) :stupid:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
geezerjarhead said:
I did not expect to obtain all this entertainment when I joined the forum!!

y'ain't seen nothin' yet! :welcoming:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Look like Rufous Hummingbirds. A very few show up here in the east every fall. I took my feeder down. Saw one hummer with what looked like fungus on its bill. In hot weather, you have to change the sugar water almost every day to avoid mold and fermentation. I skipped a couple of days.