• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Leaky Carb Tips?

HighAltitudeTR3

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have one carb that is constantly leaking gas. I tried to replace the cork seals inside with the rubber ones from Moss. Didn’t really make a difference. I’m hoping someone has a trick to this...

It only leaks from the jet assembly below the adjustment nut.

Thanks!!

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I put in the complete upgraded jet bearing assembly from Moss.It doesnt come with a new jet which may be part of your problem if the surfaces have any wear or scratches.
Tom

OP
HighAltitudeTR3

HighAltitudeTR3

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have those in my cart at Moss... but $130!!? That’s steep for what it is. I’m hoping someone has the good old fashioned fix before I cough up the dough for that.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If new seals didn't help at all, my guess is that its actually leaking somewhere else. I've actually seen jets that leaked through the head of the jet, or it may be running down from somewhere else. A leak at the float bowl mount will also sometimes drip from the jet head.

I assume you've already checked for extra or missing parts, damage to the sealing surface inside the jet bearing and so on.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I have wanted to get a set of those super dry deals myself and for the same reason you mention did not. I have been watching the price go up. If you do not have extra carbs around to steal from, you could get a new brass jet bearing housing alone for 9 bucks and the 2 small copper washers and try that for much cheaper. I have had and seen the brass case get scared up from the spring inside rubbing on it.

OP
HighAltitudeTR3

HighAltitudeTR3

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Well, I fixed the leak... for those of you playing along at home, the correct answer was the jet!

But it was from the bottom, the u shaped piece that attaches to the choke lever is threaded in to the jet (TR3driver... is that the head of the jet you were referring to?) somehow that became loose with enough space to let gas flow. I tried tightening it and that did not help. I ended up using thread sealer and slipping it back in.

The carb is perfectly dry now... I wonder how many carbs out there are leaking in the same spot? It wasn’t very obvious because everything is so close in there.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yup, that's just what I was talking about. Sorry I didn't make it clearer.

Original jets were solid, with the clevis (aka U-shaped piece) effectively riveted to the body of the jet. A turned down section stuck through the hole and was peened over to hold the clevis. Even if the clevis works loose, they don't leak.

But some reproductions have a hole in the bottom, with a third piece that fits into the hole and also retains the clevis. If that third piece doesn't fit snugly all the way around the hole (or works loose from the choke linkage trying to pull it out), you get a leak.

OP
HighAltitudeTR3

HighAltitudeTR3

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Yeah, that’s what happened. Luckily I only spent a lot of gas soaked time on it and not money...

Maybe I can just send my car to you and you can red flag all the bass ackward things I got going on. Or I suppose I just keep going down the list and fixing them as they appear. 🤷🏻*♂️

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Maybe I can just send my car to you and you can red flag all the bass ackward things I got going on.

I'd be happy to refer you to some friends who do that sort of thing in their spare time (for money). But I can't seem to find time to even work on my own car (which has been disabled for over a year now); let alone someone else's!

Finally got it moved into the garage last month, but now I'm some 2000 miles away and won't be back there for several months. When I do get back, it won't be top of the priority list (gotta get the storage locker cleaned out first, which will probably mean another cross-country trip).

OP
HighAltitudeTR3

HighAltitudeTR3

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I know that feeling! I can’t believe it’s already the end of August!