• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Open or Closed? Now I know

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I just added a z-wave tilt sensor to my garage door. How often have you turned around to make sure you closed the garage door? I've done it once too many times!
I intend to write a "scene" (program) so it will send a text message when the last person who leaves the house and does not close the the door alerting all of us that the the door is "open".
Once I get that working I will build a z-wave switch to remotely open/close the door.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Dumb question: what’s a z-wave?
Short answer is that it’s wireless communications protocol for home automation. I have leak sensors in the wet areas of my house and if they detect moisture it will shut off the main water supply. I have a camera in my kitchen with a motion sensor that arms when we leave. It knows when we leave through geo fencing. You can add all types of sensors ie: motion, locks, thermostat etc.
Here,s the long answer https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-Wave

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Dumb question: what’s a z-wave?

I thought it was how Tattoo announced a Tsunami. :grin:

tattoo.jpg

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Short answer is that..... if they detect moisture it will shut off the main water supply.
I have a camera in my kitchen with a motion sensor that arms when we leave. It knows when we leave through geo fencing.

You can add all types of sensors ie: motion, locks, thermostat etc.
Here,s the long answer https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-Wave

What if the gasket on the automated main water supply shut off leaks?

Keep the revolver under the pillow when I'm sleeping and if they get in when I'm not they can have it all. That's why I buy insurance. Less moving parts.

See above, "less moving parts".

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
vette said:
Keep the revolver under the pillow when I'm sleeping

Laughin' my butt off. The Walther is right there, and "Pity th' fool!"

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hey doc have you had any experience with zwave?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Nope. Know what it is but keeping a jaundiced eye.

OP
Gliderman8

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Nope. Know what it is but keeping a jaundiced eye.
I started with the moisture sensors after a cracked toilet tank did $70k damage to my mother in laws house while she was in a nursing home. Have been adding various sensors to the box as time and $ permit.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Couldn't you just let the guy from Amazon close it,
while he's delivering to you house?