• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

My favourite used book store [and other things]

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
was in London ON visiting friends. Went to Attic Books my favourite used book store - they have amazing and interesting stock - including transportation. Only bought two books - one on the history of steamships in northern Ontario and the other some here might recognize - I may have read it as a child but am not sure.

red car.jpg

This friend we were staying with, his father is really into older cars - 29 Bentley Speed Six for a while, 29 Packard Super 8 convertible and my friend will shortly be receiving the 37 LaSalle Convertible. At any rate we went to meet a guy from another forum who is building Molvo - a Volvo p1800 wagon on a Miata "frame" (Interior and suspension) and a Ford 5 litre engine from a Mustang - it is gorgeous and built to a very high standard and will have AC & automatic & cruise when done - it is for his wife. He also has an MGBGT

Then went to Stratford (where Justin Bieber is from :rolleyes: ) which has a great Shakespeare theatre - watched The Music Man - amazing! (and they had a promotion $29 per ticket and they chose the seating - great seats and a great show. Then, on the way home stopped to buy some peep mirrors from a guy - $20 for a pair in perfect shape (the Midget has bullet mirrors that look awesome but don't actually work) - then had to admire his '55 Chevy wagon - all in all a great day!

Oh and we passed moparfest so lots and lots of muscle cars floating around.

Alfred E. Neuman

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Pretty sure Peep Mirrors are those little mirrors that mount to the upper part of the A pillar or door frame. Look similar to fender mirrors but hang down from the top of the door.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Let's hope so... :whistle::wink:

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
They're either what I described above, or they're mirrors you strap to the top of your shoe........:barbershop_quartet_

You're all pigs - the lot of you! :devilgrin:

Yes, mirrors designed to attach to a gutter or window, often used in hot rods.

peep mirror.jpg

Attachments

• peep mirror.jpg
    peep mirror.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 98
OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
JP - glad to see someone still reads books! You can learn a lot from 'em ...

Read? Read! No just buy, need to fill the bookcase. ;p

Seriously, books are not just a passion but an occupational hazard. I have been culling for the last couple of years but at this bookstore could have come home with a dozen books.

Last spring at a swap meet there was a couple of guys who had bought a car shop after the owner dies - they had boxes and boxes of books - all cheap - all manuals for cars I will never own - Wolesley / Austin/ Morris etc. It took every bit of willpower I possessed to leave the books on the table - just for the diagrams etc.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
This post reminds me of this. Nice story. The ending was somewhat sad though. PJ

View attachment 55052

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
I literally just finished reading The Red Car last night. Great read! (Not Shakespeare by any stretch, but a fun read.)

Another great book: Endurance by Scott Kelly. Fascinating story about his year in space.

Country flag
I have a copy of The Red Car at home I literally got 50 years ago when I was a kid. Being a country boy had no idea what a TC was but the mental images made me want one. And I did eventually end up wit one, a wrecked and stripped CA car slowly going back together. Having to work for a living severely impacts my "play" time...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
When in third or fourth grade I got a Scolastic Books copy of "The Red, Red Roadster". That one was about a female teacher with an Alfa Romeo convertible. No idea if the book is still around, maybe in the attic. I've bookshelves floor to ceiling in most rooms. Car books and manuals, history and bio's.

Just thought about this: Craig Venter's "A Life Decoded". The guy is one of my contemporary heroes. Great story. CVenter.jpg

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Doc,
I remember that book!,as well as "The Red Car".

On an aside,Powell's Books,in Portland,Oregon,is a must-see
for book people.