• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Vent Tip...

HighAltitudeTR3

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I thought I would share what I did with my Vent because it had not worked since day one and the design of the whole vent system is not very efficient. The wire from the pull mechanism goes in to the lever that actuates the vent, problem is the wire doesn’t move enough to create a smooth transition from open to close.

The problem is solved easily and FREE! Drill a small hole just slightly larger than the diameter of the wire in the plate above where the vent wire usually attaches, bend the wire in a zigzag pattern in order to keep it from sliding out. Make sure not to make the wire too short or you won’t be able to close the vent.

Hope this helps someone out there!! My vent works with perfection every time!
4C8FF052-2A49-4339-8AC7-7929EE98F748.jpg

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
On the original design, the barrel were the wirer goes through needs to be free and turn with the linkage to help with a smooth actuation, but yeh those vents have caused a lot gray hair, stomach problems, and divorces.

OP
HighAltitudeTR3

HighAltitudeTR3

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
It needs to be free?! That would’ve made a huge difference! There’s not a lot of info on that goofy part. We’re doing a great service here.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
My TR3A came without the vent mechanism so I bought one on E bay and used it as a model to make a new one. The E bay one was very rusty.

The silver piece in the photo clamps the pull wire and is free to rotate in the lever. Very fiddely to get back in the car.

David

Vent wire clamp.jpg

OP
HighAltitudeTR3

HighAltitudeTR3

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I think mine has some PO hack job... you can see in the photo where the wire would basically be stuck against the side and offer no movement. Anyone else have this set up?

DDB7CAEC-14B0-48CD-8B47-B40AA4845BDA.jpg

TR3-Stu

Silver
Country flag
My TR3A came without the vent mechanism so I bought one on E bay and used it as a model to make a new one. The E bay one was very rusty.

The silver piece in the photo clamps the pull wire and is free to rotate in the lever. Very fiddely to get back in the car.

David

David,
My TR3A was missing the mechanism when I bought it. The PO had removed it and hob-jobbed the vent to remain fully open all the time. Do you have a drawing that gives the critical dimensions - from pivot point to the various holes?

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello Stu

I have the info somewhere and will post it here for you. It may take a few hours to come up with it.

David

TR3-Stu

Silver
Country flag
David,
Thanks for the quick response. When you find drawings/info, it will be very much appreciated.
Stu

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
This thread may help:

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello Stu

I have yet t find the drawings. In fact I may be thinking of a sketch I found on line that gave a great view on how it works.

I bought a rust one from e bay and used that as my model to make my own one. I could have made a much better clamp piece if I had my lathe at that time. It seems that either TRF or Moss may sell the Scuttle vent.

I can make drawings but it may take a day or so.

David
Copy of vent mechanism.jpg
Scuttle linkage.jpg
Scuttle operator.jpg

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Bit late replying, but perhaps these pics will help. Sorry don't recall who posted the diagrams so I can't give them credit. Cheers, Mike

IMGP8330 (Medium).jpg

Scuttle2.jpg

Scuttle3.jpg
This is a nice drawing I copied from a post on the forum. If you let us know which part you need dimensions for , my assembly is apart and I can do a drawing with dimensions tomorrow. Frank

TR3-Stu

Silver
Country flag
Hello Stu

I have yet t find the drawings. In fact I may be thinking of a sketch I found on line that gave a great view on how it works.

I bought a rust one from e bay and used that as my model to make my own one. I could have made a much better clamp piece if I had my lathe at that time. It seems that either TRF or Moss may sell the Scuttle vent.

I can make drawings but it may take a day or so.

DavidView attachment 71566View attachment 71567View attachment 71568
David,
Thanks for the pictures and the offer. I don't want you to put a lot of time into making a drawing, but if you can give me the dimensions from the centerline of each of the holes - the pull-wire hole, the pivot hole, and the actuator hole, with that info and your pictures I think I can produce a working drawing to create a usable part. Thanks again for your help and information.
Stu

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Here is my crude sketch of the lift mechanism. There is a reinforcing piece under the 10-32 holes. It is a piece of 1/8" material tacked in place. The piece that straddles the .25" hole is brazed in place.
scuttle vent lift.jpg

Let me know if you need any more info.

David

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Hi Stu, sorry so long but could not get pictures from the cloud yesterday. Between David's and mine you should be able to get close.
vent lid mechinism drawing.jpg

vent lid bracket.jpg
vent lid bracket #2.jpg

pull cable pinch bolt.jpg

vent lid offset bracket.jpg

vent lid mechanismoffset bracket.jpg

The off set bracket is .055 thick and .500 widened 1.197 long with a 1/4" hole for the pinch bolt part so it can rotate. Hope this helps and good luck, if you need any more information let us know. Frank

TR3-Stu

Silver
Country flag
Here is my crude sketch of the lift mechanism. There is a reinforcing piece under the 10-32 holes. It is a piece of 1/8" material tacked in place. The piece that straddles the .25" hole is brazed in place.View attachment 71582

Let me know if you need any more info.

David
David,
Thanks so much for taking the time to put this together for me. The value of the forum - the sharing of information by British Car enthusiasts.
Stu
TR3A TS78330-L

TR3-Stu

Silver
Country flag
Hi Stu, sorry so long but could not get pictures from the cloud yesterday. Between David's and mine you should be able to get close.View attachment 71589
View attachment 71590View attachment 71595
View attachment 71596
View attachment 71597
View attachment 71598
The off set bracket is .055 thick and .500 widened 1.197 long with a 1/4" hole for the pinch bolt part so it can rotate. Hope this helps and good luck, if you need any more information let us know. Frank
Frank,
Beautiful piece of work, and very helpful information. Thanks for taking the time to pull this together for me. With the combination of Frank's and your information I can put a working mechanism together.
Thanks again,
Stu Boyd

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Hi Stu, my mechanism is original. I am fortunate that it was intact. The vent lid did have some damage that has been repaired. The hinge pin has been replaced and the attachment point for the lifting mechanism has been spot welded to the lid. Frank