• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Is there a reason for this large pointed piece on front suspension?

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Is there a reason for this large pointed piece on the front suspension on the TR3? I hope not because I cut off just the point of it since it was rubbing on my 205 TR6 wheels when I was turning sharply. I readjusted the steering lock stop on the trunnion but it was still too close to the wheel. Thanks! Bob

IMG_6898.jpg

charleyf

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I believe that it is the stop for the rubber bump stop located on the lower wish bone and seen in the lower right side of your picture.

charleyf

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I just went out and looked at the piece in question. The actual bump stop is NOT that pointed piece but rather is located just above it. I can see NO function for that piece.
As to the sharp point it looks like it is there to stab you when trying to work near it. Ask me why I know!

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I suspect it was a safety feature, designed to push the arm back forward so the bump stop would hit where it should, even when the whole suspension was severely deflected from hitting a big bump. Remember the original configuration used rubber bushings for the inner lower pivots, and they could deflect a long way if enough force was applied. When you hit a bump at speed, it pushes the wheel back as well as up.

Perhaps less necessary with the later nylon bushings, but mine seems to be more nearly vertical (suggesting that perhaps yours has performed that function)
u3IhzMJ.jpg

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Randall, does your picture show wear on your brake line or just something sitting on the line? Cheers, Mike

OP
T

TuffTR250

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks for the help! I will bend it down some since it does appear that mine has done it's job at some point as Randall describes. I don't think it will bother that I cut off the point. I think it will still deflect the bump stop if needed.
Bob

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yes, that photo was of a major "OOPS" on my part. I had installed Cunifer brake lines, and failed to bend the caliper jumper (used only on TR3 and early TR3A) down where it belonged. The line rubbed on the edge of the wheel, until it rubbed through the relatively soft Cunifer (without making any noise that I noticed) and caused a leak. Fortunately, I was in a parking lot close to home when the pedal sank to the floor, and was able to carefully limp home using the e-brake.

Just coincidence that it showed the bump stop. I'm away from my home computer where most of my photos are; but that one happened to already be on Imgur.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Well, I admit I have no idea what it is. I do think you are in a world of hurt if you’re down to depending on those flimsy tabs to keep your suspension under control. I could maybe buy the hose guard idea...but haven’t looked to see if the hose gets near it on turns? When you look at them on the bare frame:

yLhNDZB.jpg

They always seemed to me to be part of the system the factory used to stack the frames for storage/shipping/assembly. I know that’s what these other useless webs were for:

Duy9p3P.jpg

These webs are too flimsy to add structural strength, and they are always dented from stacking something on them...well, mine aren’t because I’m so anal I removed the dents!?! But, both these webs and the tabs in question are made with some “give”, so when the frame was stacked they would deform enough to provide a solid stack...no rocking.

Anyway, that’s what I had decided many years ago after puncturing my head many times on those sharp points! I file that point rounded along with the steel points on the side of the scuttle dash to reduce the number of stitches I need during a restoration!??

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Ah. Here's a pic that shows how these webs look before someone like me straightens them out...

oPn3QBY.jpg

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Geess John you saved that frame? I am going to bring the one I got inside. I got to ask did’nt you give a frame away that was much more solid than that ? Or is a tr2 frame so different that people could tell.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I actually bought the TR3 after I finished the TR2 frame...and by then the TR3 frame, although better to start with, was worse at the time. If you remember, I was close to junking the entire TR2, but I kept saying...”well, if this is straight, I’ll keep going”...”if I can fix that for cheap, then I’ll keep going”. Somehow I kept going, and the therapy sessions are going much better these days!?! There are far fewer difference between the 2 and 3 frames than there are between the bodies. Nothing anyone could see from the top, anyway.

By the way...where is Tush lately??