• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General Tech Have new blank key for TR3 but cannot get it "cut" to fit ignition.

GeezerJarhead

Freshman Member
Working on a TR3 for my son who bought the car without an ignition key which also fits the doors. He wanted me to have a blank cut to fit the ignition and door but cannot find a locksmith in east Texas to do it. Any advice? The obvious response is to replace the complete Lucas Bakelite component but the door ....

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
You can buy replacement lock cylinders, with keys, from the usual suspects (Moss, TRF, etc). Or, if the numbers are present, have keys cut to the number. Here's a couple of places that I believe can cut to the original numbers:
https://www.britishcarkeys.com/
https://www.key-men.com/

You could probably also ship them the lock cylinders and have them match keys to them.

What I did was to buy the blanks on eBay, and cut them myself.

Or, yet another option, buy the blanks and take them to your locksmith. Chances are very good that he can cut them, they usually just don't carry those blanks. The hardest part is getting the locks apart, and that's usually pretty easy. You'll have to remove the ignition lock from the dash, and pick it once to unlock the cylinder, then there is a hole that lines up so you can push the pin that releases the cylinder from the lock body. It's been a long time since I've done door locks (what good is locking the door on a ragtop? My TR3 doesn't even have handles :smile: ), but IIRC they are very similar.

Check YouTube for any number of videos on how to pick locks.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Pete Groh (https://www.britishcarkeys.com/ mentioned by Randall) should be aboe to help you - I assume you can read the two-letter 3-digit code off of the lock.

I had door locks on the Jaguar with no key and no number - at a club meeting I had everyone try their keys in them and sure enough I found one that worked. Then I had a key made using that number.

For blanks - shops used to tell me they did not have blanks for British cars so I took to telling them it was for a screen door or a truck cap -- then they would actually look and usually find a blank that was just fine.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Thanks for the help. I do have a blank that fits the ignition but have no idea on how to "cut" it. I will look on Utube.
I'm not sure Youtube will have details on this old, simple lock.

But the basics are easy: With the cylinder removed from the lock, insert the key into the cylinder. Note how most or all of the pins stick up from the surface. Using a fine file or Dremel with a small burr, remove some metal from the key under each pin; then try again. When the pins are flush with the surface, stop cutting that position. The key may become hard to insert or remove during this process, if so, lift the offending pin a bit from the other side. Once all the positions are cut to the correct height, smooth out the transitions between the positions so the key goes in and out easily.

It's easier than it sounds. But it wouldn't hurt to buy a spare blank, just in case you goof. More for peace of mind IMO than likely to be required.

OP
G

GeezerJarhead

Freshman Member
I really wanted to do this. That is "cut" my own key but could never "pick" the lock to remove the cylinder. Thought about simply drilling a new hole in the housing to release the cylinder but decided that was going a bit far. I think I have the solution and that is to purchase one already cut from Britishcarkeys.com (Peter Groh?)
Now I can move on to the next step which is to stop the carbs from leaking. Car had been sitting up for some years and all hoses are hard as rocks.

Thanks for all the helpful replies to this "rookie" question.

OP
G

GeezerJarhead

Freshman Member
I think my best solution is to purchase a key fro Britishcarkeys.com (Pete Groh). I need to move on to more interesting aspects of this TR3.

Really am appreciative of all the responses to such a trivial (in your minds) question. Thanks again!

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag