• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Slipping Shoulder Belts

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
I use 3 point belts with a twist. The shoulder harness is actually a "Y" , with two over the shoulder webs that meet at the waist and are sewn together at the vertex of the "Y" just behind my neck. The single web then goes through a small slot I cut in the back vertical bulkhead just a bit below the top of my shoulders when I sit. It terminates with a fitting that is bolted to the bulkhead visible in the boot. It keeps the shoulder routing at shoulder height to avoid the compression of a low attachpoint in the unfortunate event of an accident. Here are some photos. They are a little embarrassing because of how dirty they look. I have a farm and here in the Sacramento Valley it is either mud season (if we're lucky) or serious dust season. I keep the car in the hangar I used to keep my airplane in. When I used to take off it looked like a JATO launch because of the dust. I gave up on constant cleaning and now just clean it up before a drive. Even then I IMG_20180815_121205045.jpgIMG_20180815_120939611.jpg can't make it to the end of our gravel driveway without the car looking like it has been parked in the airport lot for months and has been abandoned.

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Make sure that the clip bit is down low at the tunnel so that the belt is right over your lap and the rest is over your shoulder and across the body, then tighten it up!

If you are racing then a four pointer would be better.

Not sure why you would be wearing a helmet on ordinary roads though, surely you are driving safely :wink-new: however spirited you driving is.

:cheers:

Bob

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Rick,

A while back a friend was complaining of having the same issue and, jokingly, I suggested he use the double clip hat tether he was waring to secure the sholder belt to the opposite shoulder of his shirt. He responded that "this sliding belt is such a PIA its worth a try." When meeting a few months later, he was still using the hat tether to stop the belt from slipping off his shoulder and suggested we promote them on eBay as Belt Tethers.

Hope this helps,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

OP
HealeyRick

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Thanks, Ray. I talked to two other Healey friends last week that were having the same problem. The "strap gummy" so far is working good. You've given me a good idea, though, and I'll start selling them as Shoulder Belt Gummy and kick 10 percent back to you. Maybe we could buy a pint or two with our profits.