• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Stainless steel exhaust.

Ian R

Hi all, has anyone in the UK bought one of these stainless steel exhausts from SC Parts (item no. 204892)
Seems very cheap at £246 incl. vat. 1 3/4 inch bore.
It's probably £100 or so cheaper than the usual suspects are asking.
Let me know your thoughts...Ian.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
It may be the Falcon - spotty reputation for loose baffles inside after you hit a bump. Wonder what kind of warranty it has.

A good exhaust becomes a lot more expensive if you buy an unsatisfactory one first.

OP
I

Ian R

Yes, that's why I'm looking for reviews. I spoke to the sales team and they assure me that its good quality, (but they would..! )
It's too far for me to go and view so mail order only....

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
We have a Falcon SS on our BN2/100M. It sounded a little tinny when new, but mellowed with age. No broken baffles, yet, but it's only got a thousand or so miles on it, and I haven't succeeded at clanging it (yet).

I'm probably the only guy on this/any forum that thinks SS mufflers are overkill--but not necessarily a bad thing--on a Healey, for several reasons: 1) our Healeys usually aren't used as 'grocery getters;' when we fire them up we're usually gonna give them a good run and, because of that, we won't have water condensation in the exhaust, 2) given the token ground clearance on Healeys, you are more-than-likely going to bash a hole in a muffler or pipe, which may or may not be patchable and 3) most of the 'free flow' type are of the 'glasspack' variety; i.e. the mufflers are packed with a fiberglass or steel wool, which often is gone long before the pipes or muffler casing, necessitating replacement (if you don't have sympathetic neighbors).

I bought an Ansa exhaust for my BJ8 many (25+) years ago. The mufflers developed dents and scrapes--how could that have happened :wink-new:--but no holes, but the aforementioned fiberglass packing had vacated the mufflers; the pipes were pristine. I spliced some 'HearthThrob' mufflers from J. C. Whitney in there and the muffler is still functioning at over 120K miles, and the pipes are still solid. It has a louder, sharper 'bark' than stock, and sometimes people think I have a V8 under the bonnet, but it's surprisingly quiet and has a pleasing tone--no drone--at 50MPH or better.

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I bought a similar one from them many years ago now, and for a similar price, and it could well be a Falcon, and what is left of the original system is still performing well, some of the welds on mine could have been made a bit better. The down pipes did eventually caused me problems a few years ago at the bellows section - they did start to leak and had to be replaced.

The box on mine was real shiny stainless and still is, ( despite the dents caused by speed bumps etc.) all the pipes were dull and are of a different grade of stainless as they do rust with age, but this can be removed with emery cloth - I leave mine as is except for the tail section which does get a little fettling now and again ( martensitic and austenitic and all that jazz) but the original rears are still serviceable despite my attempts to thin them down as I drive up onto my drive off the road, you do get what you have paid for!. Earlier this year I had one of the brackets re-welded on the rear pipes to hold them together as a weld gave out due to the many removals that have gone on over the years, and the bracket at the front of the box snapped ( poor welding resulted in half the bracket being blown away) and had to be strengthened, all for the princely sum of £20 cash but I can not complain, I think that I have had my monies worth, considering the abuse that I have given the system over the years.

:cheers:

Bob