• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Question: front inner wings

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Started repairing the front inner wings and noticed the driver side(LHD) has slots at the front 5 outer wing mounting points. The passenger side has only holes to mount the outer wing. Is this correct or do the slots need to be filled with a patch and drilled for holes to match the passenger side. I know it is not seen but I am more interested in it being correct even if it means a little more work. Thanks in advance, Frank

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
The early wings had round holes. Later, the wings used elongated holes for mounting, so it very much depends. If you give a bit of information...like the TS number, we can make a more educated assessment. It would be even better if you could post a pic or two, so we can tell if it is PO damage or factory slots!

OP
F

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
My car is a 1960 TR3A ts61324. I have looked thru current pictures and do not have any. I will try and get some next week.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I don't think it's all that rare to have both styles on the same car. Mine, TS73117, has the elongated holes on the left and the round ones on the right. I found another on line, Ben's TR3, that is just like mine https://bens-tr3.blogspot.com/ (the picture is toward the end). At any rate, nothing that you need to correct, at least in my opinion.
You'll have to trust me since I couldn't get far enough back to get both wings in one picture.
inner right wing.jpginner left wing.jpg

Tom

Last edited:

DavidApp

Yoda
Country flag
Seems to be a pattern.
Holes on the Right and slots on the right. Looking at my slots you can see the remains of the hole. Do not think it is PO work as it is too regular.

May be to help with body alignment.

David

Inner wing RH.jpg
Inner wing LH.jpg
Inner wing hole.jpg

OP
F

Frank Canale

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Thank you for confirming what I believe to be true. I took on this project not realizing how much bad repair work can be done in a 58 year period. My first thought was someone had done it to make some other problem work. It is refreshing to find a group that has vast hands on experience that can be tapped into by a novice restorer. Thank you for the help!

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
My TR3 had holes right and slots left. I still tend to think the slots were a later development to aid with alignment. But it’s just a guess on my part.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Seems to be a pattern.
Holes on the Right and slots on the right. Looking at my slots you can see the remains of the hole. Do not think it is PO work as it is too regular.

May be to help with body alignment.

David

View attachment 54983
View attachment 54984
View attachment 54985

I agree that the elongated holes probably aided alignment but why only one side? I wonder if the elongated holes were always on the drivers side? Perhaps the home market RHD cars are reversed.
It would also seem that your inner wing was punched twice and slightly out of alignment at that. Seems unlikely that they were drilled at a later date but possible, I suppose.
Tom

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Took a while but I finally found a picture of my 56 during restoration as a point of comparison. Fairly early car, and holes on both sides are round. Cheers, Mike

IMGP7485 (Medium).jpg

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Confirms John's statement earlier. I'm guessing the longer holes were introduce to speed up production. Still curious about why only one side.
Nice looking body. Is that powder blue?
Tom