• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

VJ Day

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Here in Rhode Island we still have a state holiday. I’m wondering what others think of this?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Here in Connecticut we have "VJ Day" - but that only means the date is recognized. No "day off" or vacation, etc.

I think in Rhode Island it's actually "Victory Day" - not VJ Day.

I don't see any reason *not* to recognize VJ Day. Same for VE Day, Juneteenth, Pearl Harbor Day, etc. I think we should recognize the historic importance - not just have reasons for more barbecues and days off.

My two shekels.
Tom M.

OP
Rhodyspit75

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
It is now technically Victory Day but if you are from Rhode Island it’s still VJ Day :joyous:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
And Rhode Island is one of the most interesting and beautiful states in New England, have to admit.

ShortDrive_700x599.jpg

You know my thoughts about the importance of recognizing historically important events ... what are your thoughts about Victory/VJ Day in Rhode Island?

TM

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I had no idea there was such a debate over it ... according to several news articles I found, RI is the only state that makes VJ day (or VD if you prefer) an official state holiday. There are often celebrations in other states, but it's not an official state holiday.

Seem to be lots of arguments against it, it's "racially insensitive" or insulting to what has become an important partner in trade (modern Japan). But I don't see it that way; wars are created by governments, it's very rare that a majority of the common people support going to war. My Japanese and Japanese-American friends bear no more responsibility for Hirohito's madness than I do for JFK's escalation of the war in Vietnam.

Unfortunately there have been so many, many wars that if we were to recognize every one as a state holiday; no state employee would ever go to work! So, while I think it's good to remember all those stupid wars (and particularly the people who died fighting in them), I don't see the need for state employees to get the day off for every one of them.

If the folks in RI want to keep VD, let em. Sure seems to me we have more important things to worry about today.

IMHO, YMMV, this offer void within or without, etc.

PS, there is actually a lot more I would like to say relevant to this topic. But we have agreed to keep religion and politics off this board and I'm trying to honor that.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And I feel that only Vets should get a day off
for Veteran's Day,as for most people,it's just a day off.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
One of the most interesting photos I collected! Draw your own conclusions. PJ

View attachment 54976
I wish I knew him.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Miss Virginia is such a beautiful restoration, first class! I think, back in the day, American airlines kept their DC-3s in polished aluminum. In 1957, the wife and I flew from Ft. Lauderdale to Gitmo. Cuba via Havana in a DC-3. 26 months later we came back in a DC-4/R5D MATs transport, slightly more comfortable! Especially since I was being discharged. :highly_amused:

View attachment 54990

D

Deleted member 8987

When JAARS got their DC-3, some military moron had upgraded to a somewhat Super DC-3 configuration. Joke was, The Donald made it so safe, three ways to get the gear down, and if all failed, shut down both engines, co-pilot cranked until one blade straight up, and you could land it on wheels and the only damage was the RDF antenna under the nose. The Super added clamshell doors to the gear, eliminating that option. Wycliffe removed them.
They did a full rebuild, effectively to zero hours..was at the time the freshest DC-3 in the world.
You've never lived until you are at WAY over 10,000 feet over the Andes, and at 10K the attendant passes out surgical tubing plugged into ports over your head..stick it in your mouth and breath oxygen.
Seriously.

Flew the twin Evangel, or a Helio to Villavicencio, then the DC-3 to Bogota.

But then they started flying the 3 into Lomalinda...dirt and grass strip.
Fun stuff.

I helped a Colombian crew with a load of cattle (offloaded while we worked) change out a cracked jug in the temperature, sunshine, and humidity.

THAT was a trip.

If you have ever had or used the multiple-bend wrench on a GM V-8 to get to the distributor clamp bolt...same idea for the back and side nuts holding the jug to the crankcase...just ten times longer and bigger.
Then carrying the jug down the wobbly ladder.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
That's ironic, I just had that distributor wrench in my hand a couple days ago for the first time in many years when cleaning up an old tool box. I know the jug wrench your talking about, went to school in Norman Oklahoma a hundred years ago, training on F4U Corsairs mechanics. At least it seems that long ago! :highly_amused: PJ

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Paul - my ol' eyes ain't what they used to be, but isn't that a DC-6 in the photo? Length of fuselage, and square windows.

Tom M.

Miss Virginia is such a beautiful restoration, first class! I think, back in the day, American airlines kept their DC-3s in polished aluminum. In 1957, the wife and I flew from Ft. Lauderdale to Gitmo. Cuba via Havana in a DC-3. 26 months later we came back in a DC-4/R5D MATs transport, slightly more comfortable! Especially since I was being discharged. :highly_amused:

View attachment 54990

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Your right Tom, paint scheme the same but it was one of these. You have good eyes, the 6 was 10 feet longer and the windows:encouragement: .PJ
View attachment 55005