• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Driving Lights [picture posting opportunity!]

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
seems most of us like to post pics of our big healeys. I am considering removing the front bumper of my bn6 and add driving lights on brackets??? also possibly adding sprite bumperettes to the rear. pics and suggestions are appreciated! and, what type of driving lights that give good night vision!

Last edited by a moderator:
Country flag
Re: picture posting opportunity!!!

On my wish-list, I have a pair on 7" round "driving lights" (spotlight/pencil-beams, or whatever they call them nowadays) that I'd mount in the center, trying not to block the oil cooler. In the meantime, I'm just bumperless.

IMG_7619-me.jpg

Looking again at the picture more closely, I'd make a pair of brkts to mount on the inboard side of the frame rails, using the threaded tubes already in place for the bumper brkts. That would place the spots just outboard of the oil cooler.

At the rear, I made up these using a surplus pair of bumper brkts. Nerf-bars, similar to what might've been on a period dry-lakes or salt-flats cars (though their push bars were typically in the center; just going for the theme, if not the functionality). These have long since been painted with a deep high gloss black (DAR 9000 for you paint aficionados) and used with stock bumper grommets.

IMG_0424-me.jpg

Uniformity check!

IMG_0430-me.jpg

IMG_7502-me.JPG

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

randy did you fabricate the front light mounts and the sprite bumper mounts?

BN6

Here is my BN6 with what I hope you are looking for.IMG_6582.jpgIMG_6579.jpg

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

The first photo is of one of the factory mounts for 57 ARX. It uses 7" Lucas Flamethrowers.
57 ARX Driving Light Mount.jpg

My Healey uses a mount similar to the factory mount with 7" Lucas Flamethrowers.
004-Alone.jpg

The rear with Sprite bumperettes. Use the rear bumper brackets, cut short and weld on a vertical 1" x 1/8" steel with holes drilled to mount bumperettes.
SAM_1283.jpg

D

Deleted member 21878

i haven't gotten the rear bumperettes yet so i took off the overriders instead.
fullsizeoutput_1af.jpgfullsizeoutput_1b0.jpg

think i may go back to the stock look this winter though.

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

Works Healey
1958 Sebring # 29.jpg

HSC Frame.jpg

I like a smooth round rear end........:wink-new:

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

randy where did you buy the mounts and are the 7 inch marchals readily available? sorry to belabor the point... and thanks for the replies!

MarkP

Have gone bumperless on my BN7 which is nearing completion/back-on-the-road. In the interest of actually being able to see at night while remaining somewhat period similar I went with Hella Rallye 4000 Compact Chrome Luminators. They are slightly smaller than the headlamps, which are also Hella but Vision Plus 7" conversions.

https://catalog.hella.com/catalog/product/view/id/32226/s/1F3 009 094-031/

Brackets from AH Spares

IMG_0597.jpg

RAC68

Darth Vader

Hi All,

Although I do like the look created by eliminating bumpers and installing Driving lights directly on bumper supports, I doubt I will ever go that route. When buying and receiving my BJ8 NEW from the dealer, the first 4 additions I purchased directly from the manufacturer's US Distributors were (2) 5" Lucas Flamethrowers, an Amco luggage rack and floor mats, and Fender Mirrors. Over the years, these options had serviced well and remains on my car.

100_1107.jpg

When considering driving lights, I felt (2) 5" Flamethrowers had the beneficial adjustability to aim for long distance lighting coverage that would complement the Broad light output from the High-beam Headlights. Since many US States require Driving Light activation to be restricted to the time when High-Beam Headlights are in use (only Fogs can be controlled separately), so when planning an initial across country drive in the mid 1960s with NJ tags, I felt it prudent not to tempt drawing critiquing attention from Law Enforcement. As a result, I opted to tie in my driving lights to my Headlight dip switch and allow both to be turned off at the flick of the floor switch. This setup was maintained until about 10 years ago when I installed (3) fused relays to off-load power drawn for Head and Driving Lights direct through a path from the generator/alternator/battery and eliminating these lights from pulling power through the original unreasonably-thin wire harness and dash switches. Today my original harness and dash switches only handle the small amount of amperage needed for controlling the relays and thereby handle a dramatically reduce amount of power through these aged components.

I mention this approach and suggest you consider it, or a similar method of managing the distribution of power to control your new lights.

All the best,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

Last edited:

RAC68

Darth Vader

John,

I noticed you, and a few others, have a front suspension that is quite low. What have you done to lower the suspension?

All the best,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag

John,

I noticed you, and a few others, have a front suspension that is quite low. What have you done to lower the suspension?

All the best,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

Hi Ray,

We put spacers between the spring pan and lower A-arm:

Front lowering spacers-smaller.jpg

The spacers shown in the photo are from Denis Welch, and are about 3/4" high, lowering the front about 1". I've replaced them with shorter ones (1/2" nuts) to raise the front a bit to be a little easier on the oil pan.