• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Cobalt top entry wires question

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I'm installing a Jeff Schlemmer-tweaked 22D jag distributor which is similar to the BJ8 25D and uses a later top-entry cap.

Moss is selling both the really expensive Magnecor and cheaper Cobalt wires for our cars with top entry caps. I have a 2016 catalog which shows the same Magnecor PN fitting 6 cyl Triumphs as well as our cars. The PN for the Cobalt wires was 171-665 - a search for this now leads to the expensive Magnecor set PN 143-560. 171-665 is now listed for the 68-69 MGC.

Question: would like to know if anyone has used this Cobalt set on a top-entry cap on a 6 cyl Healey. Or if anyone can verify the sets which fit 6 cyl Triumphs will also fit our cars.

ozhealey

Country flag
Steve,

I have used both the cobalt (for a long time) and the new Magnecor wires. Both work well, however I prefer the Magnecor, however be careful.......

I ordered the Magnecor wires from Moss and they did not fit (too short) on my BJ7. The box said “Triumph” as you point out. Initially I was told by Moss they fit the BJ8 but not the earlier cars (noting the slightly different distributor overall length and configuration). So I tried the Moss Magnecor wires on three BJ8 cars here in Australia and they DID NOT fit any of the cars. Moss were excellent and refunded me without question.

I then went direct to Magnecor and got a set for the Austin Healey 3000 (yes they make and sell the correct set). Perhaps one day Moss will stock the Healey set to sell to Healey owners.

Just my experience.

Cheers
Tony

OP
steveg

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Steve,

I have used both the cobalt (for a long time) and the new Magnecor wires. Both work well, however I prefer the Magnecor, however be careful.......

I ordered the Magnecor wires from Moss and they did not fit (too short) on my BJ7. The box said “Triumph” as you point out. Initially I was told by Moss they fit the BJ8 but not the earlier cars (noting the slightly different distributor overall length and configuration). So I tried the Moss Magnecor wires on three BJ8 cars here in Australia and they DID NOT fit any of the cars. Moss were excellent and refunded me without question.

I then went direct to Magnecor and got a set for the Austin Healey 3000 (yes they make and sell the correct set). Perhaps one day Moss will stock the Healey set to sell to Healey owners.

Just my experience.

Cheers
Tony

Tony, thank you for the response.

I've ordered an 8 cylinder universal set from Pertronix and will build my own. Pictures to come. Ordered the 8 instead of the 6 because Pertronix for some reason doesn't include a coil wire.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi Steve,

I have had a set of Magnecor wires on my BJ8 for a few years now with NO issues. I purchased them directly from Magnecor and found the set to fit well (including the Coil Wire. Since I use a standard Side Wire distributor cap, I did have to set up the wires for wire penetration. However, they have provided as secure plug firing as did my copper wiring set … but without the radio issues.

I appreciate you may want to purchase these wires from Moss because of other benefits, however, I have found my direct Magnecor purchase to be no more expensive and delivery quite fast with all the correct sizes.

Between the Magnecor wires, Crane EI and a good rotor, I have not had any ignition or pre-ignition issues since installation.

Ray(64BJ8P1)

Last edited:
OP
steveg

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Received my Pertronix 7mm stealth wires. Built this setup from their 8 cyl kit.

This is my Schlemmer-tweaked 22D distributor with top-entry Lucas cap. He convinced me to go back to points & condenser:

screenshot.1422.jpg

Last edited:
OP
steveg

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I call baloney.

Possibly. Nevertheless, here's a guy who does distributors for a living who's dead set against them. When he says he's seen a lot of problems with them over the 15,000 distributors he's done, I'm inclined to give weight to that.

My old DM6 with Pertronix 1 and metal wires worked fine as far as I could tell, though I did get a flash from the knock sensor under hard acceleration approaching 5000 rpms.

Am still going to run points/condenser for at least a while.

Reliable condensers built to original Lucas specs are available now from Distributor Doctor in UK.
See: https://www.distributordoctor.com/

Last edited:

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Jeff of Advanced built my 22D with them; told me he had seen a car down 40 hp with Pertronix. I basically decided to go with his setup and give it a whirl.

HE Prolly did not have his specks on that day.

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I was always a big fan of originality and stuck to points and condenser, however in competition we could not elimate a slight fluffing an hesitation under full load. I decided to try Powerspark, which is exactly the same as Pertronix. The problem immediately disappeared and the car was also much better at idle and low revs!. If your distributor shaft is slightly worn then it will affect the points operation but Pertronix is not affected by it. Power spark is available in the UK for around ÂŁ30 so I always have a couple of spares. Unless you are absolutely wedded to originality and enjoy adjusting and replacing points then Pertronix is the way to go. I have no idea what he is talking about regarding power loss, I believe that the more efficient operation could give a small power gain.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
TO conclude this discussion I would like to submit : There is no mechanical or electromechanical device that is more reliable or improves performance over it's all electronic replacement item .

OP
steveg

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
TO conclude this discussion I would like to submit : There is no mechanical or electromechanical device that is more reliable or improves performance over it's all electronic replacement item .

Keoke, that's an interesting observation. It sounds like a law - is there a formal name for it?

Not sure the pertronix is ultimately as reliable as the points & condenser if a good condenser is involved. Points will gradually wear down but will always get you home. Pertronix are susceptible to catastrophic failure, either from bad polarity in troubleshooting or internal failure of the coil itself, or heat from leaving the ignition switch on. I've experienced these failures. I've also experienced many years of successful use of these somewhat fragile devices.

Also, I started this discussion but you have decided to conclude it??...got a better idea - let's just leave it open.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well Steve:

WE would neva have gotten to da moon on a set of points they would have worn out before we got there , but chu can keep on talking about them if you like'---LOL

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I was always a big fan of originality and stuck to points and condenser, however in competition we could not elimate a slight fluffing an hesitation under full load. I decided to try Powerspark, which is exactly the same as Pertronix. The problem immediately disappeared and the car was also much better at idle and low revs!. If your distributor shaft is slightly worn then it will affect the points operation but Pertronix is not affected by it. Power spark is available in the UK for around ÂŁ30 so I always have a couple of spares. Unless you are absolutely wedded to originality and enjoy adjusting and replacing points then Pertronix is the way to go. I have no idea what he is talking about regarding power loss, I believe that the more efficient operation could give a small power gain.

Ditto for me....I've raced with both the Pertronix Ignitor and currently Ingnitor II. Jeff built my race distributor years ago base on a Lucus Jaguar D type unit. I've had issues with coils in the past and I'm currently upgrade my system with the Pertronix Flame Thrower HP coil and new Digital HP System. My new race motor willing living at 7000 rpm.

'57 Domed Race Pistons.jpg

Billet Crank 3.jpg

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
You Fellas: Spot on Dougie---