• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Thermodynamics!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
OK - just how does this thing work?

Free-Drop-Shipping-Car-Cover-Front-Window-Screen-Sun-Visor-Windshield-Sun-Shade-Blind-Protector-Sun.jpg

The shade is obviously blocking sunlight from coming through that windshield.

But for keeping that car's interior cooler, is the reflective surface any more effective than a non-reflective surface? Would a similar shaped piece of cardboard accomplish the same thing ("shading" the interior)?

I guess what I'm getting at is, the shade prevents the sun from hitting the seats, etc. But the windshield glass heats up, with or without the shade. So wouldn't the hot windshield transfer heat into the air of the interior by conduction and convection?

:crazyeyes:

T.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Forget that Tom.... Get one of *THESE*

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I use one of those (the shiny thing inside the windshield) frequently (when I'm in CA) and can vouch that it does work. Significant reduction both in air temperature inside the car, but especially in surface temperature. Without it, I can barely touch the steering wheel, even with a leather cover on it.

Yes, the reflective surface works much better. The light (radiation) is the major energy source, only a tiny fraction of it is converted to heat by the glass. (There's even a law about that in CA, but I don't recall the number offhand. Has to be less than 5% or something like that.) The reflective shade actually makes the glass hotter (because most of the light goes through it twice) but there is still an overall reduction in heat to the interior because most of the light gets sent back outside the car. Light that isn't reflected (like on a sheet of cardboard or your car's interior) gets 100% converted to heat.

Technically, even cardboard reflects some light, otherwise you couldn't see it. You could get some relief by sticking a sheet of cardboard behind the windshield. But the shiny mylar coating reflects more of it.

Yes, some conduction and convection from the hot glass. Again it's smaller.

Last edited:

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Surely anything is better than a black interior absorbing energy.

The tent looks fun, but I would think a blanket would be easier. :p

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
My son says most folks at his base in Kuwait use them on the 1 window they have in there rooms to block the the sunlight/heat

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Elliot, I'm gonna get 1 of those for when the heavens start raining bricks on us

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Elliot, I'm gonna get 1 of those for when the heavens start raining bricks on us
Itโ€™s good for falling coconuts too.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Dark surfaces reflect light as infrared. Glass does a lousy job of transmitting infrared, this equals heat trapped inside the car. Silver / bright surface reflects more of the light back out - less heat.

Windshield reflectors are effective at reducing internal
temps.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Was going to post the joke about the final exam "is **** exothermic" and answer involved freshman Marie Joe Poloski saying she would sleep with student when he'll freezes over, since this hasn't happened etc. But link didn't work.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Shame. That was a good one, worth seeing again.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
One of the mysteries in all this: there are several references to "the shiny side should be down", due to its lower emissivity. See PC's reference:

https://www.dulley.com/docs/f411.htm

But the windshield shades have the shiny side up toward the sun.

hmmm

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Not to steal Elliott's thread but this has to do with Hydrodynamics
See, kind of similar !

I call this Overboard Outboard

Overboard Outboard.jpg

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Don, i'll see your 270 hp and raise you 1,130 hp.

Boat seen at dock in Key West, FL. i can't impagin the need for that much motor on a boat that size.

Tried to make it bigger and failed.

Attachments

• 1400 HP Outboard .jpg
    1400 HP Outboard .jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Don, i'll see your 270 hp and raise you 1,130 hp.

Boat seen at dock in Key West, FL. i can't impagin the need for that much motor on a boat that size.

Tried to make it bigger and failed.

Thats for when you want to get to that favorite fishing spot really fast!