• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1275 Head to block dowel pins

64nailhead

Freshman Member
I'm pretty new here so take it easy on me (first post).

I have acquired a 68 Sprite with a 1275cc that was disassembled when I inherited it. I'm in the process of putting it back together. I have a manual by Robert Bentley - The Complete 1275 Manual. I have a question about head to block dowel pins. Are there supposed to be any and in what holes do they go? Each of the holes that look like they could be the correct location are in the coolant porting of both the head and block. I would prefer not to guess and I would also prefer to have my head gasket seal correctly as well - lol.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

dklawson

Yoda
No dowels.

I am not sure what the current preferred head gasket is. When I last installed one on a 1275 it was the Payen BK450 (composite gasket with a sealant on its surfaces).

OP

64nailhead

Freshman Member
That explains why I couldn't figure out where to put the dowels - lol.

It had a copper one in the box of old parts when I got, but I got a composite one in the Payen gasket kit I bought. I chose the composite as I've had very good luck getting them to seal in all other builds. Also, I had the heads and deck resurfaced, less than .010" each, so as to allow for a proper head seal. I intended to install the gasket dry, but is there a recommended sealer?

I should also mention that I have new studs and nuts as well - the old studs were horribly stretched.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Check specs for torque and tightening order. And the little studs for valve train only 25 lbs or so IIRC.

Joe Schlosser

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
With the black composite gasket you don't use a sealer. With any of the copper gaskets (copper/copper or copper/something) I generally use spay copper on both sides (NAPA??) to aid in sealing the gasket.
I have never had an issue with the water or oil passages leaking.

dklawson

Yoda
Per Joe's comments, the composite gaskets go on dry. If you use the copper one, a sealer like KW Copper Coat works well. If you don't find KW Copper Coat in local parts stores, it is easily found on Amazon.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Welcome aboard -- I have a '69 Sprite. When my head gasket went kablooey, I used the Payen gasket. While you have the head off, you may want to have the blanking plug replaced with a threaded unit. I'll see if I can dig up the threat. It could potentially save you a lot of aggravation down the road.

Edit: Here's the post on the topic on the MG Experience: https://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?1,2096990,page=1#utm_source=alias&utm_medium=mgexperience.net

I'm presuming by your handle that you are also a Buick aficionado?

Joe Schlosser

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
The only time I had trouble with the blanking plug moving was due to sever overheating due to lack if coolant and me not having the brains to pull in at the Glen. My brain fade cost me an engine.
The plug moved due to the extreme overheating and a good machinist repaired. However I have never heard of the plug moving under normal driving conditions.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
The only time I had trouble with the blanking plug moving was due to sever overheating due to lack if coolant and me not having the brains to pull in at the Glen. My brain fade cost me an engine.
The plug moved due to the extreme overheating and a good machinist repaired. However I have never heard of the plug moving under normal driving conditions.

I would agree -- but if you ever have an overheating situation, why compound it by losing the head gasket as well?

OP

64nailhead

Freshman Member
Old thread and just getting this together. I had both the head and block resurfaced. The head was pressure tested with no issues. I'm going with it. Hopefully by the end if the month I'll be cranking this up.