• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1971 TR6, trunk floor is too hot

MEHEFFEY

Freshman Member
As a new member not completely sure how to correctly post a question but I figured someone will let me know if I'm doing it wrong.

We live out in the beautiful pacific northwest and after a 3 year (ongoing) battle we finally have our TR back on the road.

We drive the car pretty much daily now, for about 40 mins to an hour and we noticed that the trunk floor was get extremely hot. It's hot enough to burn the skin if you were to leave it there for more than just a quick touch.

We are using the stock exhaust and mounts which seem close the body anyway. Exhaust flow is good and there is no restriction from the mufflers tailpipes.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
first of all, welcome, would love to see pics of the car! First of all, as you rightly surmised, this isn't exactly where you should be posting this question. This is really just for introductions. Then you would post the question in the Triumph section. That said, this sounds like a slightly extreme example of a typical problem. Assuming the exhaust is fine (as you mentioned) these cars just don't have the insulation modern cars have, (the real problem is for people like me who get the heat in the cockpit.

There are lots of modern heat shields that glue in. Dynamat is the best known but there are alternatives - peel and stick. To make it pretty you can then get a piece of upholstery to cover it and you would be good to go.

good luck! and welcome.

OP
M

MEHEFFEY

Freshman Member
first of all, welcome, would love to see pics of the car! First of all, as you rightly surmised, this isn't exactly where you should be posting this question. This is really just for introductions. Then you would post the question in the Triumph section. That said, this sounds like a slightly extreme example of a typical problem. Assuming the exhaust is fine (as you mentioned) these cars just don't have the insulation modern cars have, (the real problem is for people like me who get the heat in the cockpit.

There are lots of modern heat shields that glue in. Dynamat is the best known but there are alternatives - peel and stick. To make it pretty you can then get a piece of upholstery to cover it and you would be good to go.

good luck! and welcome.

Thanks

Here's a quick pic of our TR6

Attachments

• IMG_3168[1].jpg
    IMG_3168[1].jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 14

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
lovely! thanks for sharing

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Great looking TR6.

Have you posted your question in the Triumph section? You are sure to get some good information there.

David