• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BT7 furflex/rubber door seals

Lin

Jedi Knight
Gold
Country flag
When I restored my car about 10 years ago (cannot believe that it has been that long!) everyone was complaining about the quality of the door seals. MacGregor in Canada started manufacturing and selling a superior product that I used on my car. I was quite pleased with the quality. However, after 10 years the rubber is beginning to crack in a few places and I would like to replace them. Do I recall correctly that Moss or another U.S. vendor now sells the MacGregor product? Thanks for any helpful advice.
Lin

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Autofarm in Canada stocks the Macgregor door seals .

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Years ago I too went through the door seal fiasco, if you want correct door seals go to Macgregor.

I worked sometime introducing his product to our local Healey enthusiasts.

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi Lin
Rubber can be easy saved ( if don't seriously damaged) with a gentle touch of Vaseline application
Cheers 14-15102017Esposizione_Piazza_Unita (11).jpg("new" car on works)

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Here's a basic question about cutting furflex: what is the best way to cut these to size and keeping clean cuts. I ordered a set of Britflex / Furflex from MMs only to find them too short with the end sections frayed and splayed. In a word, unserviceable.

This time I'm buying from another supplier. Any suggestions are welcomed. GONZO

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
As I recall the advantage to Martin's product when he introduced it was that it would stay clamped on whereas the metal in the seals that Moss and others sold was too flexible and eventually fell off, etc. Is that still the case?

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Here's a basic question about cutting furflex: what is the best way to cut these to size and keeping clean cuts. I ordered a set of Britflex / Furflex from MMs only to find them too short with the end sections frayed and splayed. In a word, unserviceable.

This time I'm buying from another supplier. Any suggestions are welcomed. GONZO

BCF policy is that you address vendor problems with the vendor. Doesn't sound like you've gone back to Martin to let him know that the two lengths of his product, Bristleflex, were cut too short.

If the pieces you received were too short, as you state, then why would you come here to ask how to cut them cleanly? No matter how many times or how cleanly you cut them, they'll still be too short. Therefore your question looks like nothing more than a premise to vendor-bash.

Let's get this back on track. Deal with the vendor to resolve the matter. If you're determined to use a different product and looking for a recommendation for one, there's no need to recount your frustration with the previous vendor. Thanks.

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
i started to install macgregor bristleflex in my bn6 today. each side is about 8 inches longer than necessary. i dont know how i will cut it! a superior product in my estimation.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I'd appreciate someone answering my question: Is Martin MacGregor's product superior in the manner that it grasps and holds onto the sheet metal as was once the case or are the products from the various vendors pretty much the same?

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
i have used it on the last three healeys that i owned. i have no experience with other vendors but it has never come loose once installed. limited experience but really grips well. he makes his own product and I believe that he does sell to other vendors.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The Macgregor product is far superior in the way it grips and stays gripped to the standing seam .
It also seals better as it has a larger sealing bulb section that squishes when you close the door .
I wouldn’t use anything else .
The only issue I have with it is the rubber end caps dont exactly match the profile of the seal . This may have been corrected since I last bought some ???
As for cutting it I found sheet metal cutters worked the best . Cut it slightly long by 1/4” then snip away till you reach the correct length . Make sure your cutters are really sharp .

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
MacGregor's product is called Bristleflex. I installed it >10 years ago when it first came out and was very happy with the results. The metal component is steel; the Furflex was aluminum and wouldn't stay attached to the metal edges.

Addendum: According to the Moss catalog, Furflex now has a steel structure.

The bulb on my driver's side door has split and I will also be replacing.

Addendum: when MacGregor introduced Bristleflex, there were two types of trim available: 1) steel structure but the bulb was too big; 2) weak aluminum structure with correct bulb diameter. Bristleflex had steel with the correct smaller bulb diameter.

Last edited:

Novamonte

Country flag
Hi Lin
Rubber can be easy saved ( if don't seriously damaged) with a gentle touch of Vaseline application
CheersView attachment 54793("new" car on works)

I have not tried Vaseline to revive rubber seals, but a 50/50 mix of white spirit and glycerine works very well on tired rubber seals. If you want to go more advanced, start with a mix of 80 white spirit/20 glycerine and rub it in well, continue with gradually more glycerine/less white spirit and do it over a period of several days.

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'll try practice cuts before committing to final cuts to avoid splayed and frayed ends.

I can't explain why I'm so O.C about this particular trim piece and wanting it perfect. Perhaps its the fact that BJ-7s and 8s don't have aluminum / chrome finishing pieces like the earlier models and as a result, look fussy and "unfinished". Thanks for all the suggestions, GONZO.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I'll try practice cuts before committing to final cuts to avoid splayed and frayed ends.

I can't explain why I'm so O.C about this particular trim piece and wanting it perfect. Perhaps its the fact that BJ-7s and 8s don't have aluminum / chrome finishing pieces like the earlier models and as a result, look fussy and "unfinished". Thanks for all the suggestions, GONZO.

There is a small chrome clip that fits at the end of the furflex behind the doors: https://mossmotors.com/clip-door-seal-end?assoc=8277