• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Lube for steering box, transmission and rear end

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I am restoring a 1954 TR-2, that has been napping for 30 years. When I pulled the wiring out of the steering column, eventually all of the lube inside leaked out. I want to replace it, but after I do a wiring harness replacement. How can I add more lube, and not have it all leak back out? What lube would you recommend?
The transmission is a overdrive one, that had apparently not used the overdrive for quite a while as all the wiring had pretty much rusted away. I have bought a new harness and drained the oil. It was black, but not dirty and had no moisture gotten to it. What would you recommend for replacement oil?
The rear end, I addressed in a early thread. What lube would you recommend to replace in it?

Thanks, Dick

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
There should be a rubber plug on top of the steering column, not far from the engine dipstick. They get hard over time though, so it may appear to be metal.

What fluids to use is a frequent topic, with no clear winners.

I use Valvoline SynPower synthetic gear oil in both steering box and rear axle. Seems to work better than the recommended GL4, and doesn't contain the additive that can erode yellow metal. When I got my previous 3A, the rear axle was already pretty sloppy, but it didn't seem to get any worse in over 100,000 miles with the SynPower and was still working fine when the car got wrecked. Of course, as soon as I sold it, the rear axle in my current TR3 broke and I wished I hadn't sold :smile:

For the gearbox, I like Redline's MT90. The OD doesn't seem to care, but it makes a noticeable improvement in shifting. When your car was made, the factory specified motor oil, but later on they switched to specifying GL4 gear oil. (MT90 is GL4).

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Randall,
I see the rubber plug on the column, thats where you add the lube? For some reason, I thought you added it through the plug on top of the Gearbox? When I pulled the wiring out of the column, I loosened the spirial brass nut, is that why the lube leaked out? If I screw it back on, will I not lose the lube?
What weight is the SynPower synthetic gear lube?

Thanks, Dick

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Yes, the rubber plug is for oil in the TR2/3. I don't know what the metal plug is for, perhaps it was used on another Triumph; or perhaps provided in the original design then never deleted.

Yes, loosening the nut will let the oil drip out. Hopefully tightening it will stop it, if the stator tube is still in place.

i use the 75W90 gear oil.

Lukens

Jedi Warrior
Randall,
I see the rubber plug on the column, thats where you add the lube? For some reason, I thought you added it through the plug on top of the Gearbox? When I pulled the wiring out of the column, I loosened the spirial brass nut.

Not that it matters, but I'm having trouble following this. :ambivalence:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Feel free to ask ...

OP
R

Redoakboo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The spirial nut is at the end of the stator tube, where the wiring to the horn travels. I had loosened the nut to better remove the horn wiring. I forgot to reattach it and all the lube leaked out. It is now back on and new lube has been added; not leaking.