• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General Tech Solder Skills

KVH

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I’m trying to recall, but can somebody please explain once again the solder properties that occur when your soldering a bullet connector on to a wire. I believe that if you stick the end of the wire through the top of the bullet it draws the solder back down to fill the bullet. Maybe I have it in reverse. Perhaps when you solder inside the bullet it draws it toward the tip of the bullet and seals it there. In any event, an explanation would be appreciated thank you

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
The solder always follows the heat. So wire in the connector, decent solder tip on the center of the connector and let the solder wick into the connector...usually from the open tip. It helps to have an insulating surface to hold the connector as you push the tip against it.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
:iagree: And you want the solder to run in between the strands of wire, if possible. I find that "tinning" the exposed wire with the solder before inserting it into the connector is helpful.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Agree with everyone's comments above. Cleanliness is important. Tinning the wire helps ensure the wire is clean - at a point when you can still see the wire.

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Geo your reply addresses my question.Why solder?I use modernT&B bullets with a proper crimper and see no downside besides originality,and the benefit of no stress point on the stranded wire at the connector,plus faster and easier.
No modern vehicle has any soldered connections that I am aware of.
My experience is everything is clamped or krimped ,auto and marine,although I solder vintage switch connections on motorcycles but but not on a bullet connector,although most of my work was low voltage(below 600vac)
Tom

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
My soldering skills were always very poor until I started using the rosin solder flux ( a paste). It was especially helpful while soldering the bullets on the wires.

ckeithjordan

Jedi Trainee
Silver
Country flag
+1 on the crimping tool. It works well. Make sure you use the right size bullet connectors.

Dr_Mike

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I agree with all of the above but will also point you to this:

https://mossmotors.com/wire-harness-bullet-crimp-tool

Not cheap - but it is a great tool that makes a tight and attractive connection.

I thought, dangerously, that one of the reasons for the bullet connectors was that you could take them apart. Not possible if crimped to the connector. Am I misunderstanding something? It sounds as though it makes a very secure connection.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
They are talking about attaching the bullet to the wire. The bullet is still just pushed in to it’s socket to make a removable connection. Many of the wiring looms come without the bullets, so you have to add them...with solder...to the end of the wires.

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I thought, dangerously, that one of the reasons for the bullet connectors was that you could take them apart. Not possible if crimped to the connector. Am I misunderstanding something? It sounds as though it makes a very secure connection.
The male bullet gets crimped (or soldered) to rhe wire and the matching female gets crimped(or soldered)and they push together.

Tom

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I gave up crimping wires in my 20's...many moons ago! I often still crimp some connections, but I solder ALL connections, including the ones I crimp. I realized that about 1 out of 10 crimped connections were eventually going to cause intermittent issues. Dissimilar metal corrosion, improper removal of the connectors, oil...you name it can cause the connection to fail and go intermittent. I no longer run into intermittent electrical problems...except with factory made looms which were crimped by someone else!