• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wondering about buying a 1976 mg midget will it smog?

Alice1973Triumph

Freshman Member
I am thinking of buying a 1976 mg midget from a 91 yr old man who still has it registered out of California. He bought it in 1990, it’s super clean and runs great. He did have an electric fuel pump installed. Never smogged .. he said it’s up to me to smog. I live in California

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Hi Alice and welcome to the BCF! I'm going to "move" this thread to our Sprigets forum where more "Midget" folks will likely see it since you are asking a specific MG Midget-related question. So if you are reading this reply, you will notice that you are no longer in the "New Member" forum but rather in the Spridget forum. (Spridget forum related to Austin Healey Sprites and MG Midgets)

Again, weldon to the BCF!

Basil

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
In CA,it's the law that the seller's responsible for smogging it -
(I lived in CA before I moved here).I would make sure that it passes before
you hand over the money.It could end up getting messy/expensive.

OP
A

Alice1973Triumph

Freshman Member
Thank you for the advice, I keep hearing stay away from this year mg and only go for smog exempt years.. I guess it’s big money to get these cars to pass smog.. The owner of the MG said it was up to me to get it smogged., he is 91 years old.. I will probably have to pass on this little gem.. I already have to classic cars.. but this one is sooo cute...

OP
A

Alice1973Triumph

Freshman Member
Thank you for posting my question on this thread. My favorite band in the world is AC/DC.. I was just listening to the “ Let there be Rock” cd today..lol

OP
A

Alice1973Triumph

Freshman Member
I also named my 67 convertible firebird “Rosie” because the first song I heard on the radio driving the car home after I bought her was “Whole lotta Rosie” I knew the car wanted her name to be ”Rosie”.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I will say that there are lots of choices for these cars and they don't cost a lot of money - so, don't feel like this is your only option. I have a '76 California Car long ago de-smogged. There are some advantages to rubber bumper cars - notably unleaded heads and electronic ignition. However, there are about the most anemic horsepower that you can get and the rubber bumpers are heavy and (to my eyes) unattractive (Mine are gone)

If there is any concern you might want to hold out for one that is smog exempt. AND Smog equipment - air pump canisters etc is not easy to find as most people throw theirs away and I don't believe they are being reproduced.

OP
A

Alice1973Triumph

Freshman Member
Thank you s much for the advice. I will contact the man right now because I was waiting until Monday morning to take the car to the smog shop. Maybe we can find one that will do a pre smog inspection.. or maybe the man will know if it will pass. Now I know why he kept the car registered in another state all these years... hmmm

D

Deleted member 8987

I am thinking of buying a 1976 mg midget from a 91 yr old man who still has it registered out of California. He bought it in 1990, it’s super clean and runs great. He did have an electric fuel pump installed. Never smogged .. he said it’s up to me to smog. I live in California

Been following this. Bottom line is run away.
If you transfer the title, the clock starts in the late, great, state of California.
Then it MUST pass, and even with all the BS installed, there is litle chance it will.

Had one person on BCF who bought a Triumph Spitfire, and had to scrap it, as it did not have all the BS nor would it pass.

If it is registered in another state and resides in California, it is already illegal.
If you can take the car to that state, store it, find all the missing bits, put them on, have it tested, then okay...if it passes.

As others have said, find another, and preferably one pre-smog.