• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Very perplexed - LED [house] lights

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
So, today we bought a new light fixture for the dining room - five light sockets in a row. Tonight we went to ikea and bought 5 edison style LED bulbs for saif fixture. Put them in and very very very dim. Ah thinks I they aren't strong enough - so, I start taking them out to return them - take out the first, replace with a halogen bulb and, all of a sudden all the remaining four get as bright as they are supposed to be - unscrew dim - screw in bright.

I feel like this might be related to conversations we have had about LED car bulbs not drawing enough current - but, they had LED bulbs in the fixture at the store.

any ideas?

without halogen

dim lights.jpg

with halogen

bright lights.jpg

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Is the fixture on a dimmer?

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
If it an older dimmer it’s probably not rated for led’s. Turn off the power and remove the dimmer. Tie the two wires together and turn the power back on. If it works properly then you need to upgrade the dimmer.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If it an older dimmer it’s probably not rated for led’s. Turn off the power and remove the dimmer. Tie the two wires together and turn the power back on. If it works properly then you need to upgrade the dimmer.
Assuming your LEDs are rated for use with a dimmer. From the sound of it, I'm guessing they aren't; in which case you should just leave it bypassed.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

:winner1: thank you thank you a thousand thank yous - works perfect with a conventional switch. will now investigate dimmers. In the meantime for the thousandth time let me say how much I appreciate this forum and the breadth of knowledge - as most of you know, it is my go to for pretty much any question. :cheers:

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
:winner1: thank you thank you a thousand thank yous - works perfect with a conventional switch. will now investigate dimmers. In the meantime for the thousandth time let me say how much I appreciate this forum and the breadth of knowledge - as most of you know, it is my go to for pretty much any question. :cheers:

I want to know how you keep those pears from sliding off the table? :stupid:

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

I would have thought that answer would be readily ap-pear-ant.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

I would have thought that answer would be readily ap-pear-ant.

Incidentally those are faux - and I cannot tell you the number of nieces, nephews, cousins and friend's children who have tried to bite into one

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
You’re welcome. Although most LEDs today are ok to use with dimmers there are still some out there that are not compatible. Check the box for the ones you have. I like Lutron dimmers. Read the instructions some of them have an adjustment that allows you to control the brightness.

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
We had a similar problem working with different LED lights in our basement redesign. It is not always apparent which bulbs work with dimmers...and which dimmers work with LED's. We chose Lutron as well, but then their headquarters are about 20 minutes from our home. When I needed to get a replacement piece for a sliding dimmer, they sent me a few a no cost. Good company.